2. Don't Call the Fates Vegan

Start from the beginning

After scanning the street over and over again like those annoying cashiers who can't scan the bar code right on your very urgent purchase of tampons, I turned around and kept walking, but not before discretely turning off my music, leaving the head phones in.

Now that it was silent, I could hear the whistle of the wind accompanied by my annoying ADHD thoughts prompting me to think of Beef Jerky of all things.

Is there a black market for Beef Jerky? If so, if two Beef Jerky cartels get in a fight to they call it a beef? Also wasn't there a Veggietales episode where the prisoners got sent to a beef jerky prison camp? Because that seems like a pretty lit prison. Or maybe I'm wrong- it might actually have been Larry and Bob being two beef-jerky-selling red necks.

I came to a stop at a dead intersection, and, being the badass I was, looked both ways before crossing.

The only four-way intersection was three quarters into the district, leaving me with about five minutes left to walk.

As my feet touched the other side of the sidewalk, another gust of wind came and knocked my loose brown hair across my face, making it stick to my lip-gloss in the annoying way hair did. I let out a sound that probably resembled air leaving a bag mixed with an angry bear and brushed it out of my face. And there was something there that wasn't there before.

A jolt when through my body as I stared at the homeless man right in front of me. He was curled up along the wall, covered in baggy gray clothing that slipped down to reveal pale skin with an almost sickly green colour to it. There's no way I could have missed seeing him- he was tall and the only other living thing here besides rats.

He had a tin can next his bare criss-crossed feet.

Something was wrong. People didn't come here to beg- there was no one to beg to.

I fought to keep my body relaxed, telling myself to just act like I hadn't seen him and walk past.

I tried for my most nonchalant "oh look a butterfly" look and turned to keep walking.

"Mhmm, you smell like death, my dear."

Don't do it, I told my self, You have headphones in- just act like you didn't hear him.

But my body involuntarily turned itself back around to face him, almost as if my limbs were being pulled by a ventriloquist- a ventriloquist named "Bad-decisions-that-will-probably-get-you-murdered."

The man was standing now, towering over me at an impressive height, and smiling down with rotten yellow teeth set against black gums. He could pull off a bumble bee Halloween costume flawlessly with that smile.

"I don't that's how catcalling works, Sir; I'm afraid you're going to have to step your game up." I responded gravely, slowing stepping back and silently cursing myself for even opening my mouth.

A forked tongue slithered out between a gap in his bottom front teeth, his smile growing even wider.

"A string calls to a cat my dear, but a string calls to your life. And the Fates love to cut. Cut, cut, cut they will."

Wait- forked tongue?

The green sheen in his skin started to look more solidified, as if he were actually turning green.

I stumbled back, blinking hard as he approached in a relaxed fashion, as if this was a completely normal topic of conversation to have with a stranger.

It was time for me to pull a well known tactical move: confuse and conquer.

"Are the Fates vegan?"