Chapter 21

I kneel in the middle of the mat that is covering the floor of the lab of Fenton works my eyes closed as I sat. My eyes snap open and I lean back just in time to see a yoga pants-covered leg fly over me in a kick that while nowhere near hard enough to really hurt me it would have at least dazed me.

"Nice dodge sweetie." Says mommy as she transitions into an ax kick going for my chest.

I quickly roll to the side then spin going for a leg sweep only for mom to jump over it. Continuing my spin I push off my hands and come up in a crouch. I look at mom to see a roundhouse kick coming to my head I raise my arms and block the kick then wrap an arm around the leg and pull bring my mother down to the mat knocking the wind out of her. Before she can retaliate I quickly put her into a kneebar and apply pressure making her knee bend the wrong way making her tap out.

"Did I do good Mommy?" I ask after I release her leg and sit up.

"That was Brilliant sweetie where on earth did you learn a hold like that?" she asks sitting up as well.

"China I took a few kung fu lessons while I was there." I smile.

In truth, it had been a lot more than just a few. I spent a month at the temple. I became the personal student of the head monk at the temple after id saved him from a rather vicious ghost tiger.

"That's amazing sweetheart." Says mom with a smile.

"Let's go again." I smile and do a kip-up going straight into a fighting stance my hands in front of me my left in the Perfect position to either block or deflect a punch or a high kick my right ready to deliver a punch.

Mom smirks at me, she gets into a fighting stance of her own. We stare each other down for a full 2 minutes. I can see mom's arms and legs were tight as if in anticipation for me to make the first move. I decided to give her what she wants.

I make a jerking move forward with my front foot moving afoot, which was just enough for mom to take the bait she goes in for a punch with her left and I deflect with my left arm making her punch go wide I go in with my own punch only for mom to dodge.

I was about to go for a sidekick at her when the phone rings making me lose my train of thought and fall backward going into a perfect back fall Mom laughs as she goes over and answers the phone.

"Hello. Of course, she's right here." She smiles

I sit up and look at mom

"Dani phone for you." Says mom with a smile on her face.

I float up and fly over to mom and take the phone. "Who diss?" I ask.

"Hey, Dani." I smile as I hear Misty's voice from the other end of the phone.

"Hey, what's up?" I ask my friend.

"Nothing much just calling to see if you want to come over for a sleepover at my place." She says sounding excited.

"Let me ask Sam." I say excitedly as I cover the receiver and whisper "Mommy can I go to Misty's house for a sleepover."

Mom who was wiping the sweat off of her face with a towel looks over at me and thinks for a second "Did you clean your room, and do your homework." She asks me. I nod an excited smile on my face. "Then sure though I would like to talk to her mom," she says.

"The answers yes, though Sam wants to talk to your mom first."

There's the sound of movement and I hear Ms. Oswald on the other end. "Hello, Dani can I talk to Sam please." She asks.

I give my mother the phone. "Hello, Ms. Oswald. Ok, Clara then." Says mom with a little laugh.

I tune mom out as I grab a drink of water and sit on the mat and look through my phone seeing new texts from my cousins' Page, Melody, and Matthew. I smile and text them back.