THE REUNION-Chapter Twenty-Eight

K.C. stands alone in the middle of the stage. The lights focus solely on her as the cameras start rolling. She smiles into Camera One, knowing Eric is on the other side of it following her every move. 

 "Good evening, everyone!" She says with her southern drawl. She looks out into the audience and sees hundreds of eager faces waiting for the main event of the program. "Tonight I am privileged to spend the next hour with a group of people I have come to admire and adore." 

She takes a few steps toward the front of the stage and pauses. "And I'm so excited that y'all will be able to witness the first meeting of the contestants and the judges of The Scholarship."

The audience breaks into an uproarious thunder of applause and whistles. K.C. smiles widely as the excitement of the crowd erases any lingering anxiety inside her. 

 "Okay, okay, everyone!" K.C. says with her voice full of joy. "Why don't we bring out the host and judges first, so we can get caught up on what they're doing now? What do ya'll think of that?" The audience responds with enthusiasm. "Okay, then! Let's bring them out!"

Stevie Quay appears on stage, and the noise from the audience is deafening. He jumps up and down and then displays his dimples as he smiles into the camera. He hustles over to K.C. and gives her a big hug. He takes the first seat of those lined up on the stage and crosses his left ankle over his right knee. K.C. sees him find Gabby in the audience, and he gives her a quick wink.

"Stevie Quay, everyone!" K.C. says with a light chuckle in her voice. Another round of applause ensues, and K.C. waits for the silence. "Next, let's bring out the judges!"

Cynthia, William, and Bobby walk out together, and the audience is on its feet. Bobby waves and smiles, loving the attention, while Cynthia and William hang back a little and smile politely. The three adults take their seats next to Stevie, and K.C. sits down in her own chair that's set up just a bit apart from the row of chairs reserved for her guests. She has a small table next to her, and she reaches over for a quick drink of water.

"Okay, so, judges," K.C. begins. "Why don't you catch us up on what you've been doing since the show ended." K.C. is careful not to mention the details of the show's abrupt end. "Cynthia?"

"Well, I've been writing a book on the findings of my study that I did on the neuroscience of childhood poverty and its lingering effects once those children reach adulthood." Cynthia looks confidant and relaxed sitting on stage. She's done hundreds of interviews over the years, although her smile changes slightly whenever she glances at William sitting on her left.

"And William?" K.C. asks.

"Oh, well," William begins, but he fumbles a little with his words. "I've been doing some guest speaking spots at a few universities." He pauses, remembering the horror of his last attempt at a lecture. "And I've been spending time with my beautiful daughter, Gabrielle." William motions toward Gabby; she smiles and blushes from the audience.

"From what I understand, you're not the only one spending some quality time with her," K.C. says with an obvious turn of her head toward Stevie. It's Stevie's turn to blush, but he sits up a little straighter.

"Yes, ma'am," he says to K.C. "And I've enjoyed every minute of it." He gives Gabby another wink, but this time it's obviously intended for her. There is a collective sigh from the audience—a mix of jealousy and love of a good romance.

"And of course, Bobby Smarts!" K.C. says enthusiastically. "You've gotten some big news since the cameras last saw you, am I right?"

Bobby nods with a goofy grin, and blurts out, "I'm going to be a daddy!" The audience laughs and claps.