THE EPISODES-Chapter Twenty

Episode Eleven: Standing in the Path of a Storm

There's no introductory theme music as Bobby Smarts rolls over and looks at the clock.  It's nine in the morning and no sign of Melinda.  "Whatever," he says as he stretches his body.  He reaches for his phone but frowns when he looks at it.

He notices the cameras and mumbles, "God, don't you people ever sleep?" He gets out of bed wearing a pair of cotton pajama pants and no shirt.  He shuffles to the bathroom and the sound of running water echoes through the bedroom. 

A loud knock on the front door interrupts the soft sounds of the water, and a very irritated-looking Bobby walks out of the bathroom and through the bedroom.  "Who is it?" He yells.  He turns to the camera.  "It's probably my wife.  I knew she couldn't stay away for long!"

Someone on the other side of the door answers Bobby, but he doesn't understand what the person says.  "Hold on," he yells.  He unlocks the chain and swings the door wide open.  "Hey, Sweethea—" he begins but stops when he sees a man in a sheriff's uniform standing there.  "Oh my god," Bobby says.  "Is Melinda okay?"

"Are you Robert Smarts?" The man asks. 

"Yes, yes, that's me."

"I'm here to serve you with this restraining order requested by a Melinda Smarts," the man in uniform says as he hands Bobby some folded papers.

"I'm sorry, what?" Bobby takes the papers and opens them.  "I don't understand."

"It's all in the paperwork, sir.  I'm just the delivery boy."  The man rolls his eyes and does not look happy to be there.  He notices the cameras and stands a little straighter.  "A job I serve with pride and integrity!" He adds nervously.  

"Whatever, " Bobby says as he slams the door in the guy's face.  "What a douche." Bobby walks straight to his phone and makes a call.  He waits for the other person to pick up.

"Melinda?!  What the (bleep)?"  He yells.  "A (bleep)ing restraining orderReally?"  He fumes as he listens to Melinda's response.  "I'm a judge on a reality T.V. show, Melinda!  I could get fired!"  He pauses but paces the room as he listens.  "Well, you should care!" He yells.  "You're getting all my money in the divorce."

Bobby sits on the couch in in the living room of his villa.  He shakes his head repeatedly as Melinda is presumably speaking on the other end.  "Yeah, well, I don't think being a (bleep)hole is grounds for a restraining order," he replies.  "Hello?  Hello?"  Bobby looks at his phone and growls.  "Awesome.  Just awesome."

He gets up from his seat and walks over to the full sized refrigerator.  He opens the doors, and the only thing on the shelves is the untouched pitcher of martinis from the previous night.  He reaches for it and takes a long swig right from the pitcher.  "God," he says after he swallows several gulps.  "Can this day get any worse?"

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         

            "Oh my god," Gabby says.  "Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god!" She's got her shoes in one hand and her cellphone in the other as she paces the driveway of the Quay family residence.  "Call Dad," she says into her phone.  It's on speaker as she tries to unsuccessfully put her shoes on at the same time.

The call goes right to voicemail: "Hello, you have reached 555-3737. No one is available to take your call right now, but—" Gabby disconnects the phone and glances frantically at the camera.  "Oh my god," she says again.  "My dad is going to kill me on national television."