POST PRODUCTION-Chapter Twenty-Four

K.C. Washington's plane touches down at the Dallas/Fort Worth International airport at exactly noon. She switches her phone off airplane mode and texts her mom to let her know she landed safely. She's hoping to make dinner with her parents before she has to catch another flight in the morning to Los Angeles.

She meets up with Eric, the cameraman, after he gets the equipment from baggage claim, and they make their way to the rental car counter. 

 K.C. inwardly groans at the long line. Her father offered to pick them up, but her parents live in the suburbs, and she didn't really think it was appropriate to have her daddy drive them around for work. She figured if the studio was paying for it, then she might as well rent a car and have a place to stash their bags.

"So I know we went over this before, but are you sure you don't want to stay with me at my parents' house?" K.C. asks Eric as they wait in line. "I just hate having to drop you at a hotel when I get to sleep in my old bed and have a home-cooked meal!"

"I'm sure." Eric smiles at her and nods his head. He's not a man of many words, but he seems nice enough to K.C.

They finally get their car and head to the Denny's where Alex has agreed to meet them. K.C. tries to make conversation with Eric as they drive.

"So how much do you know about these finalists?" She asks him.

"I've done my homework, if that's what you mean," Eric says from the passenger seat.

"That's good," she says carefully, not sure exactly what he means. She only hopes he is able to capture the kids as well as the cameramen for The Scholarship.

When they arrive at the restaurant, K.C. heads inside to find Alex, and Eric stays behind to gather his equipment. The bell over the door dings like a traditional diner when K.C. enters. The hostess looks up but doesn't smile. She looks like she might pass for a high school freshman. K.C. approaches the hostess stand. "Hi, I'm K.C. Washington. I'm here to meet Alex Anderson."

"Oh right," The girl says slowly in her southern drawl. "I'll be right back." She disappears through a swinging door as K.C. looks around for the best place to conduct the interview. Eric walks in, and they decide to sit at a booth by the window.

"There's a ton of natural light," K.C. says to Eric as he messes with his camera. He nods in agreement.

"K.C., hi!" Alex walks up to the reporter and gives her a hug. "It's nice to see you."

"It's so great to see you, too, Alex! This is Eric, our cameraman." Eric nods a hello, but his hands are full. Alex gives an awkward half wave and looks at K.C.

"So this looks like it will work," Alex says.

"Have a seat," K.C. motions for Alex to sit in the booth. "Are we ready, Eric?" Eric nods and puts the camera on his shoulder. "Okay then. Let's begin." K.C. smiles as she says, "So Alex, why don't you tell me a little about what's been going on with you since we last spoke?"

"Well," Alex begins, "there are a few things that have changed since I last saw you, like I'm a shift manager here instead of just a cook. Normally you have to be at least eighteen, but I'm emancipated from my parents now." Alex shrugs. "The company made an exception for me."

"And how are things with your family?" K.C. asks. "Any change with your relationship with your mom?"

Alex shakes their head. "Unfortunately, that's still the same. I haven't seen her since the last time you were here."

"I'm sorry to hear that," K.C. says with genuine compassion in her voice. "And how are Dorothy and Teresa?"

"They're pretty good," Alex says as they shift uncomfortably in their seat. "Um, they're actually moving."