MEET THE JUDGES-Chapter One

A custom-made black, convertible Toyota Prius whips smoothly into a temporary parking space marked Reserved for C. Plath. The driver carefully removes the headscarf she wears when cruising with the top down in the California sun but keeps the dark sunglasses on her face to try and disguise her identity. 

 She debates lighting up a cigarette but then glances to her left and sees a large group of paparazzi slowly making its way around the corner of one of the many large warehouse buildings on the lot. 

 She knows the second they recognize her because they suddenly move faster in her direction. She silently curses the producers for insisting she have her own parking space and gets out of the car with a sigh of resignation.

"Ms. Plath! Ms. Plath!" One reporter yells as he approaches her. "What can you tell us about the contestants for The Scholarship?" Cynthia Plath pastes her Hollywood smile on her face and turns toward the anxious crowd.

"Good morning, everyone," she begins as she tosses her keys into the small purse slung over her shoulder. "There's not much I can tell you because today is the first day we are getting a look at the entries. I'm sure you could obtain more information from the producers." Her rehearsed answer does little to satisfy the mob. Other reporters throw questions at her.

"How do you feel about being the only female judge?"

"Do you think you're more inclined to choose female contestants?"

"Is your science background going to influence who you choose as finalists?"

Cynthia Plath continues to smile as she quickly walks in the opposite direction toward the building where she is expected. The paparazzi have been following her since she was 15 years old and starred in her first major motion picture, but she still feels uneasy with the attention. She removes her sunglasses and slips into a side door where a large man in a tight t-shirt quickly closes the door behind her as the voices from outside fade away to silence.

"Good morning, Dr. Plath," says a young woman with a clipboard in her left hand who seems to suddenly appear in the hallway. The girl of no more than twenty-five sticks out her right hand and continues, "I'm Julie. I'm the production assistant. I'll show you to the conference room."

"Please just call me Cynthia," the actress says as she simultaneously shakes Julie's hand and tries to keep up with her quick steps.

"Dr. Plath is on her way now," Julie says.

"Excuse me?" Cynthia asks. Julie points to a small, wireless earbud in her right ear and smiles.

The two women reach the conference room quickly. Julie opens the door and enters the room with a gust of energy. "Here we are!" She says brightly. "There's coffee and pastries on the table over there." She points to a corner of the large, windowless room. "And here is the crew you're going to be working with over the next couple weeks." Nine adults with laptops sit at a round table that takes up most of the space in the room. A few of them wave, but the rest stand up to shake Cynthia's hand. Cynthia smiles and tries to make a mental note of each name as it's given.

Julie pulls Cynthia aside and says, "I was told to remind you that you and your crew here are only choosing one finalist because of your limited availability while completing your research at the lab." Cynthia nods. She knows the other two judges and their groups of volunteers will be choosing two finalists each.

"Yes, I'm aware. I appreciate the flexibility," Cynthia tells Julie.

"The filming crew will be here within the hour," Julie says so the whole room can hear. "We thought maybe you all would like to get to know each other a little bit before the cameras get here." Cynthia nods and pours herself a cup of black coffee. She stands in front of the only unoccupied laptop.