MEET THE JUDGES-Chapter Three

Two planes touch down within minutes of each other on neighboring runways at LAX International Airport. One plane holds a man hung-over on margaritas who has made every other passenger and flight attendant in First Class aware of his discomfort. The other plane holds a quiet, tall man who just flew First Class for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed the extra leg room.

A third man in a chauffer's uniform stands by the baggage claim holding a large sign that reads, "Dr. William Jones and Mr. Bobby Smarts." He waits patiently and is rewarded when two men approach him simultaneously.

Bobby glares at the sign but turns to Dr. Jones and sticks out his hand. "Hey, Buddy. Bobby Smarts. Nice to meet ya. I didn't realize you were a doctor. I thought you were some sort of teacher."

Dr. Jones is a bit taken aback, but he shakes Bobby's hand and says, "William Jones, and yes, I teach at New England University."

"Oh, so you're not really a doctor then. Like the cutting kind, I mean," Bobby laughs and pushes his suitcase toward the chauffer. "Here you go. Be careful with that, will ya? It's worth more than you make in a year, I'd guess."

Dr. Jones ignores Bobby's comment and introduces himself to the quiet man in the uniform.

"Pleasure to meet you, Dr. Jones, " the man responds with a thick British accent. "My name is Henry. I'm going to be your chauffer during your time here in Los Angeles, but I'd be happy to help you in any way I can." He turns to Bobby. "That goes for you, as well, Mr. Smarts. Right this way, gentlemen."

Henry takes Bobby's suitcase and reaches for the garment bag slung over the shoulder of Dr. Jones.

"No, thank you, Henry. I've got it," Dr. Jones says. The three men walk outside and are immediately greeted by a gust of warm California air. The professor pauses and tilts his face toward the sun.

"First time in California, Billy Boy?" Smarts asks as he puts on his sunglasses. "I'm from the Sunshine State, so I'm used to this climate—only more humidity!" He laughs but doesn't wait for an answer as he climbs in the back of the large black Cadillac Escalade of which Henry has just opened the door.

Dr. Jones reluctantly hands Henry his bag and sits next to Smarts. "You ever been in the back of one of these babies?" Bobby asks. Dr. Jones shakes his head and leans back against the soft material of the luxury car's interior.

Henry appears in the driver's seat. "It's about an hour's drive to your hotel, gentlemen. Sit back and relax. There are snacks and bottles of water back there for you if you'd like."

"Where are they putting us up, man?" Bobby asks.

"We are headed to the Sunset Marquis. I believe you each have your own villa booked there," Henry tells them. Bobby Smarts lets out a low whistle.

"I love working on projects with deep pockets!" He says more to himself than anyone else. He closes his eyes and adds, "Just wake me when we get there."

Within five minutes, Smarts is softly snoring. Dr. Jones looks at him with disbelief. He catches Henry's eye in the rearview and chuckles. Henry shakes his head but doesn't say anything. The professor pulls out his phone and texts his daughter to let her know he arrived safely. Then he closes his eyes and silently wonders, again, what he has gotten himself into.

* * * * * * * * * * * *