POST PRODUCTION-Chapter Twenty-Three

Bobby Smarts sits at the desk in his bedroom and looks at the clock on his laptop for the fifth time. "Where is she?" He says aloud. He knows Melinda is a lot of things, but late is never one of them.

"I'm sorry, Seńor?" Palmina says as she walks in the room with her hands full of fresh linens.

"I'm just wondering what's keeping Melinda," Bobby says absently.

"Maybe Seńora Smarts is just stuck in traffic," Palmina suggests as she makes the bed behind him.

"Yeah, maybe," he says as he nods his head absently.

"Helloooooooo?" Melinda's voice calls from the hallway. Bobby jumps out of his chair and goes to meet her. "Oh, there you are! I wasn't sure whether to knock or come right in, so I walked around back by the pool first," Melinda chatters as Bobby turns her around and leads her back through the living room and onto the large patio. "You know, you should really change that code on the backdoor."

Bobby shakes his head as he sits down by the pool. "You've been here less than five minutes, and you're already bossing me around."

"It was merely a suggestion," Melinda says as she takes a seat in the shade at the table with the umbrella.

"Are you feeling okay?" Bobby asks her. "I've never seen you opt for the shade."

"Of course, silly," she replies. "I've just decided I need to keep my skin young looking. The sunlight will make me turn into a prune!"

Bobby stares at her for a few seconds, but shrugs it off. It wouldn't be the first time the woman suddenly changed her mind about something. "So, I got the notification of the canceled restraining order," he tells her. "I'm still really angry about that, Melinda."

"I already told you how sorry I am, Baby!" She tells him. "Can't we just forget it ever happened?"

"Oh, I would love that," he begins, "but you had me served on national television! No one just forgets that!"

Melinda stands up. "Did you just invite me here so you could yell at me? I'm going inside." She walks away as Bobby looks confused.

"What are you talking about, Woman?" He yells as he decides to get up and follow her. "You told me you needed to see me, remember?" He walks in the house, and Melinda is sitting on the large couch facing the even larger television screen mounted on the wall.

"Come sit down and talk to me, Baby," she says as she pats the empty seat next to her. "I have something to tell you." Bobby doesn't move as he stands there staring at his wife. His mind runs through all the possibilities of what she may say.

"You do want a divorce, don't you?" He asks from his position by the sliding glass doors.

"Baby! No!" Melinda reaches into the purse she's been clutching the whole time they've been talking. "I just wanted to show you this." He cautiously walks over to her and takes the small piece of paper out of her hand.

"It's a picture of a lima bean?" He asks, more confused than ever. Melinda laughs.

"Well, you're close. It's a picture of your baby."

"My—" Bobby stares at the paper in his hand as he sits down.

"Listen, I know how you feel about children," she starts. "I know you're going to want me to get rid of it. Don't think I don't know you, Bobby Smarts!"

"My—" he repeats.

"But I want to keep it. I didn't think I would, but I got this sonogram this morning..." She starts to sniffle. "I really want this lima bean!" The tears fall down her face as Bobby looks from her to the picture.