THE REUNION-Chapter Twenty-Six

K.C. stands with Eric and her producer, Mary, on the stage where the reunion for The Scholarship will take place the next day. "Damn," K.C. says as she looks out into the vacant seats of the audience. "I do kind of feel like Oprah. I don't know whether to be excited or super nervous!"

"Oh, stop," Mary tells her. "You're going to be wonderful! This is projected to be the most watched television program since the Super Bowl!" K.C.'s eyes widen as she realizes just how big of a deal this all is. She looks at the ten empty chairs on the stage and smiles as she looks forward to seeing each of the people who will sit in them alongside her.

"I could never have imagined how much a failed reality television show would change my life," she says. Eric puts his arm around her.

"And thanks to you, K.C., there are several other lives that will change forever, too," Eric reminds her. K.C. smiles up at him but doesn't say anything. She just wants to enjoy the fact that his arm is around her. Unfortunately, Mary has other plans.

"So, Eric, you're sure you're comfortable with being the head cameraman on this tomorrow?" Mary says to him. "I'm putting a lot of faith in you to get this perfect."

Eric nods and looks around. "Absolutely, Mary," he tells her. "I won't let you down. I have everything under control."

"He's done his homework," K.C. quips. She looks at Eric, and they share a laugh at the secret joke between them.

"That's exactly what I want to hear!" Mary says. "After your phenomenal job with K.C.'s special, I know I'm putting this production in good hands." Mary walks the stage one more time, slightly adjusting a few of the chairs as she goes. "Okay," she finally says. "I think we're as ready as we're going to get! I'll see you both tomorrow." 

 She starts to walk away but stops and turns around. "Try to relax and have a little fun tonight, you two," she says with a wink.

K.C. immediately blushes and avoids eye contact with Eric. "Well," she says, still not really looking Eric in the eye, "I guess I'll see you tomorrow?" She tries to step off the stage, but Eric gently takes her arm and pulls her back.

"K.C.," he says in his quiet, serious voice. She tries not to melt as she faces him and finally looks straight into his eyes. He doesn't say another word. He simply leans in and kisses her gently on the lips. 

 She puts her arms around his neck and gladly kisses him back. When their lips finally part, Eric looks at her and smiles. "You know, I've wanted to do that since you waved that stupid Post-it in my face," he says playfully. K.C. laughs softly.

"But you said my Post-it was brilliant!" She teases him. He laughs but doesn't argue. "I thought you weren't interested since you never mentioned that kiss I planted on you after I came back from my meeting with Bobby Smarts."

"I wasn't really sure how to take that," he told her. "To be perfectly honest, you had a reputation of being a little boy crazy. I think I just wanted to make sure you were interested in me—not just the convenience of me."

"Well, since we're being perfectly honest," K.C. begins, trying not to be too hurt by Eric's comments, "you're right. I had this romantic notion of interviewing mysterious, sexy men all over the world, but it never occurred to me that the sexiest man I could ever meet was the one behind the camera." It is Eric's turn to blush. He takes her hands and smiles.

"Well," he says," What do you say we have a little fun and get some dinner? Boss' orders, right?" K.C. nods, and they step off the stage together, hand in hand.