THE EPISODES-Chapter Eighteen

Episode Nine: That's What You Get, Folks, for Making Whoopee

Stevie Quay's voice is heard as pictures from Episode Seven flash across the screen.  "Remember all those dates that were happening not that long ago?"

Pictures of Stevie and Gabby in the lobby of the Sunset Marquis, Bobby and Melinda at Neiman Marcus, and Cynthia and William in the backseat of the Rolls Royce are displayed on the screen.  "It's time to get back to it!"

Cynthia and William sit at a table in a dimly lit restaurant.  A young man comes over and glances nervously at the camera.  He fills their glasses with water and walks away.  The couple peruse their menus as soft music plays in the background.  A waiter approaches the table. 

"Good afternoon, my name is Heath, and I'll be taking care of you.  Would you like to see a wine list?" 

William and Cynthia exchange a glance.  Cynthia says, "Well, it's not five o'clock, but it isn't seven in the morning, either!"  William smiles, so Cynthia tells Heath to bring the wine list.  After the waiter walks away, Cynthia looks at William.  "If you want, we can order our food to go and eat it in the Rolls Royce."

"Can we really do that?" He asks with wide eyes.

"William, I was kidding!" Cynthia shakes her head and giggles.  "You and that car!  Maybe we should have taken my Prius after all," she teases.  William reaches across the table and takes Cynthia's hands in his. 

"You are the best part of this whole show, you know that?" He says quite seriously. 

"Even more than the car?" She whispers.  He nods.

"Even more than the car." 

The waiter returns, and William orders a Bordeaux Blend.  Cynthia raises her eyebrows in surprise.  "So you know wine." She says.  "I don't know wine at all. I could hold my own in the vodka section of a liquor store, but wine is totally lost on me."

"Do you remember when Bobby told me I could be pretentious?" William asks her.  "Well, this is one of those times when he's actually telling the truth."  He picks up his food menu.  "I think I'm going to order the filet.  How about you?"

The screen fades, but William and Cynthia reappear.   They are still sitting at the table in the restaurant.  "I can't believe we drank three bottles of wine!" Cynthia says with a slight slur in her voice. 

"Was it three bottles?" William asks as he looks around.  He's having trouble focusing.  "I don't even remember ordering a third bottle." The waiter, Heath, walks to the table.

"Dr. Plath, would you like me to put this meal on your tab?" Heath asks. 

"That would be loverly...lovery?  Lovely!  That would be lovely!" Cynthia says as she tries to stand.  She starts to fall back in her seat, but Heath catches her.  "Well that was embarrassing," she says as she clings to Heath's shirt.  She glances at William who is still looking around.  "We should go, William."

They stumble to the Rolls Royce, which is waiting for them as soon as they exit the restaurant.  Suddenly, they hear, "Hey, Cynthia!"  Both turn just as a bright flash hits their eyes.  "Thanks for the picture!  Have a great night!" 

"(Bleep)ing paparazzi," Cynthia slurs as they crawl into the backseat. 

"Is it just me, or did that voice sound vaguely familiar?" William asks as he puts his head on Cynthia's lap.  Cynthia makes a sound resembling agreement.  William slowly sits up and starts laughing. 

"What's so funny?" Cynthia asks but then starts laughing, too.

"I don't remember the last time I was this drunk," William says.  "Why are you laughing?"