But You Belong With Me

"Thanks for driving me, I really appreciate it," I mutter.

Nick looks over to me and sighs. "What did you mean by what you said?"

"About the boyfriend thing?"

"What else would I be talking about?" Nick is still a little snappy I see.

I shrug. "I'm going to make you my boyfriend, that's what I meant."

"I'm dating Jake," he replies. "And don't you have a boyfriend now?"

"Do you actually believe I have a boyfriend?"

"No," he mutters. "If he really was your boyfriend, then you would've drove you home."

"Well it's good that I have you then."

He bites his lip. "I'm dating Jake."

"But you belong with me," I state, laying my heart on the line.

"Can we not talk about this?" he mutters nervously.

"Okay, I won't push it." I know that I'm making things even more awkward, but I needed to tell him. I needed to make him understand that I like him, I think I even love him. "I just wanted to tell you, so I didn't regret not saying anything."

"We cant be anything more than friends," he replies in a monotone voice.

I smile and he looks at me as we hit a red light. "But we can still be friends, right?"

His eyes soften as he stares at me. "I wish I could say no."

"You've always been so nice, but you don't have to be to me. At least let me do something to make it up to you."

"I don't want anything," he focuses back on the road.

"Come on Nick, I know you have something in mind." I want everything to at least go back to what it used to be, but it's feeling like it never will.

"I want...you to find someone else to make you happy. Someone who cares about you, and won't hurt you like I did. I just want you to be happy."

I sit there a little starstruck as I try to absorb what he just said. "I'm happy with you."

He shakes his head. "You shouldn't be, and that's the problem."

"What do you mean?"

"Why are you sitting here apologizing for my mistake?"

My eyes widen. "Well because I overreacted. I blew it way out of proportion, it wasn't a big deal. I was just jealous."

He grunts. "No. I lied to you, and broke your heart. I didn't think about it at the time, but what I did was so shitty. It was the worst feeling in the world, realizing that you just hurt the person you care for most."

"Nick," my eyes start watering.

"And that's why I hate you for apologizing to me, when I couldn't even apologize to you. I hate myself for letting it come to that. Luca, I'm sorry, I really am."

My skin feels cold, and my heart beats fast. Goosebumps on my skin urge me to wrap my arms around him. "Nick, please don't hate yourself. I forgive you completely, I just want to be friends again."

"You say that I'm the one that's too nice, but I think that you're talking about yourself."

"Me? Nice? I don't think so."

"You have the most compassionate heart, one that cares about everyone. You don't like to see anyone unhappy, so you try to make them feel better. That was something that attracted me to you, and in the end I took advantage of you."