46 - Later

Four years later

Four years later...

Clare stormed into the house and Michael looked at her as she burst into tears.

"Clare, what's wrong?" 

"Nick's gone and ruined his life!"

"How could he?" 

"Melissa's pregnant and he wants to marry her."

Michael took Clare into his arms and felt her relaxed. He had seen firsthand the ups and downs of his brother-in-law's relationship. He knew plenty of girls like Melissa back in California. He dated a few, but they were always more focused on making it in the business world than in a relationship. 

It didn't surprise him they were making a go at marriage, but he always thought they'd be the couple without kids. Nick loved her enough to choose not to have kids. It looked like the choice had been made for them.

"I told him they didn't need to get married just because they were having a kid. Nicky will be a great father, but she's not meant to be a wife."

"I may agree with you, but it's Nick's decision. Our job is to be there for him."

Clare looked at Andrew, who was playing despite his mother's emotions. "Thank goodness they have the calm Shaw genes from you, not the crazy Burke ones from me."

"The Burke genes are full of love. Your brother will be fine, because the thing your family does well aside from medicine is love. For that I am extremely glad." She had a selective memory, if she thought his family wasn't crazy. "Clare, my family is crazy if for no other reason because they haven't forgiven my decision to move."

"You're right. Your mother gave me an earful for going back to work so soon after Alex."

His mother was constantly criticizing Clare's career. Michael was in awe of Clare the way she still had time to be a mother to their boys. Unfortunately, she went back sooner than even she would have liked after Alex. The problem was there was a sudden opening at Lake's Region and if she wanted it she needed to be available.

It killed Clare, Nick got a position right away in Tim's practice but she didn't. It was nice living and working in Portland, but once they started their family, Clare wanted a house. They moved five minutes from Tim in a similar neighborhood. Michael worked hard to keep his garage as neat as Tim's.

Alex cried and Clare lifted him to nurse him. Michael would never tire of watching her. He loved his wife and had no regrets over his decision to pursue her. He was secretly pleased to be the one to produce two boys. He knew it had relieved his only nephew.

She looked up and smiled. "When I'm done with him. I think I'll call Julie."

He smiled. "Of course, you will."

Three years later

Three years later...

Julie stood on one side of Nick and Tim was on the other. Mum and Dad were right next to Tim just as Clare and Michael were by her side. They were a family and her brother was broken. They may not have agreed with his choices, but they never abandoned him.

They had all been living a nightmare since the night the accident had taken Melissa's life. There were news reports and unanswered questions but none of those mattered as she was being laid to rest.

Julie shut her eyes and remembered another day when she stood saying goodbye to a loved one.  Kevin had been gone for a lifetime or actually two lifetimes — her daughters'. In some ways she didn't remember the young woman she was. She often wondered how she would have survived her brother's illness and death without the Burkes, her family. The same family who saved her would save Nicky. Somehow she had become the one who supported the others. As she matured she learned life worked better if she used love and common sense to get through any problem. It helped she was never alone. She had Tim as her partner and when one was weak, the other was strong.

Nick had lost his partner, and she would not abandon him and his children. She was glad Tim agreed when she told him those babies needed the family to care for them. Just like the Burke's had supported her in her time of need, she would support her little brother. Smiling but only inside, she thought of the day she met him so many years ago. He had a huge capacity to love and somehow it would make him hurt worse, but she only hoped it would save him.

She squeezed Nick's hand reminding him he was not alone. He looked at her but with a blank stare. He needed time but she would find a way to bring him back. Bridget and Jack needed him more than they needed her. They were lost, but in time they wouldn't remember. No matter what kind of a mother Julie thought Melissa was she loved her children, and they loved her. She would keep her memory alive.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Dad's arm reach around Tim and rest a hand on Nick's shoulder. He would support his son because only he understood the pain of losing a spouse. She remembered the day, Dad had heard Tim play for her. She saw the pain of his loss in his eyes when he said, "Some memories are meant to be treasured."

She said a prayer for Nick. She hoped he would treasure his memories and heal his heart and someday he might find happiness again.

A/N the story of the Burkes continues Unexpected and Unexpected Second Chance.  Both titles are complete