22 - Laugh at my jokes

Julie had been living at the cabin with Kevin for a month, and she was afraid she was running out of time

Julie had been living at the cabin with Kevin for a month, and she was afraid she was running out of time. Kevin was worse than Danny when she saw him. Tim's mum visited more to help with Kevin's pain. Nobody could tell her how much longer he had and most days she was just as glad she didn't know.

The day before, when she gently woke Kevin and said Mrs. Burke was there, she scolded. "How many times have I told you I prefer Elizabeth or mum, but no more Mrs. Burke and John feels the same?"

Julie scowled at her dying brother because he found her being scolded amusing. "Jules, don't fight it. They want to take care of you."

Could she get away without calling them anything, but then she tried different phrases in her head. Can I help with the dishes, Elizabeth? Let me help, Mum. Please pass the potatoes, John. Pass the bread, Dad. Ironically, her father would never pass anything to her it was her mother's job.

Elizabeth was with Kevin on Friday afternoon when she heard a car. It surprised her to see Tim so early and even more surprised to see him dressed in a suit. He didn't normally dress up. His face didn't bear his beautiful smile.

"What's wrong? You're early."

"Mum's in there?" He crocked his head toward the bedroom door. Julie nodded. "Come with me."

She followed him down to the beach and he handed her a piece of newspaper. At first she didn't know what she was looking for and then she saw it like a beacon her eye caught his name. Danny was gone. He had passed peacefully surrounded by his loving family. That was what Kevin wanted for him. She read further and saw the funeral had been that morning. Then she looked up at Tim. "You went."

He nodded. "Kate too. I needed to for you and Kevin. We stood with some of their friends. His mother looked at us like we were the plague and when I attempted to get close enough to talk to her, she turned away. She didn't even know who I was, but she assumed and shunned me.

"She lost her son, and she will blame whoever she can. The friends were quietly asking me about Kevin. Jules, they care about him. One guy is a doctor I recognized from one of my rotations."

She nodded, but she was too busy thinking about Kevin. "Do we tell him about this?" She held up the paper. She wasn't sure she could say his name.

"I don't know. Maybe if he asks or at the end. I'd like to believe they'll be together again."

"You should go change. I'll sit here a minute."

He squeezed her hand and walked away. She sunk into the sand and read the obituary again. Some things brought her peace, especially knowing he had a church funeral. It would be important to him and his mother. As she read the names of his siblings and his interests, the memories flooded her. She had to move the newspaper so her tears wouldn't ruin it.

She had been so consumed with caring for Kevin she hadn't even thought one day his life would be summed up in a newspaper column measured by inches.

He turned back to see Julie crumple onto the sand. He knew her enough to give her space when she asked for it. He wouldn't leave her alone for too long, but she deserved to mourn her childhood friend.

He changed out of his suit and peeked in on Kevin. He had oxygen but very little other interventions. If he knew about Danny, he would decline rapidly. He was torn between Julie suffering from the burden of caring for him and not being ready to let him go.

The weekend passed quietly and Julie slept in his arms. He was glad his presence allowed her to relax. On Sunday before he left, both he and Julie sat quietly with Kevin. The moment was not the one he wanted and not the one she would have dreamed about.

"Jules, you know Kevin wants to make sure you'll be taken care of. I can promise him, but I think it's time I show him."

Tim pulled his mother's engagement ring out of his pocket. "Julie, will you spend your life with me and laugh at my jokes and love me?"

Julie had her hand over her mouth and nodded up and down. She cried, but Tim knew sometimes tears weren't a bad thing.

"Jules, you got lucky. Be good to Tim. He loves you."

How could she be happy? She was, and she was glad Tim included Kevin

How could she be happy? She was, and she was glad Tim included Kevin. He would always be a part of her memory. Tim smiled as she ran off to call Kate. She missed her best friend. Kate congratulated her but was subdued. Julie knew it could be several reasons like Danny or Kevin or Julie engaged first when Kate had been with Arthur longer. She couldn't worry about Kate. She loved her friend, but she was a big girl.

Tim left and she was on her own again. She ruined her day by calling home. Her mother answered as always because her father would never get off his butt to pick up the phone.

"Mom, Tim asked me to marry him."

"Oh."

"I know the timing is bad. We can plan for you to come see Kevin before it's too late. Please. He's your son."

"My two sons are here."

Her mother would never change and soon it would be too late.