19 - He's gone

The minute Julie and Tim walked into her apartment, Kate stood to greet them

The minute Julie and Tim walked into her apartment, Kate stood to greet them. "Kevin called. He sounded upset."

Julie looked at Tim who nudged her toward the phone. She knew something was wrong, because Kevin had been avoiding her for months. Tim held her around the waist and let her lean against him as she dialed.

Kevin didn't answer, so she started to leave a long, rambling on his answering machine. He picked up before she finished.

"Jules!" he cried. "Can you come over?"

She felt Tim nodding behind her. "Yeah, Tim will drive me."

It wasn't late on Friday, and neither of them had to work the next day. On the way out the door Tim said to Kate, "We'll call you."

The ride felt twice as long, but Tim kept her calm. When they walked into the apartment, it was dark and a mess. It was typically immaculately clean.

Julie looked around the apartment. "Where's Danny?"

"He's gone."

Her heart stopped for a moment. "What do you mean gone? He's not...?"

Kevin shook his head. "Not yet, but he's sick."

Tim asked, "Is he in the hospital?"

Kevin cried in anguish. "I don't know!"

Julie soothed him. "I'm here. Just tell me, so we can help."

Kevin shook his head. "You can't help. He was so sick I had to take him to the hospital, but I'm not his next of kin."

He cried as Tim tried to make sense of things. "What happened?"

"His parents came and blamed me. They kicked me out. They won't let me see him." Kevin sobbed. "He's gonna die and they won't let me see him."

"Hell!" Tim paced.

Julie could think of a lot worse than hell. How could they? She always thought Danny's parents were far more reasonable than hers.

"It had to have been a shock. They love him and to find out he was living a life they knew nothing about and is so sick..." Julie tried to reason.

Kevin broke in. "But I need him!"

Tim looked at Kevin concerned. "Are you having symptoms?"

Julie watched as her brother looked down. She knew her worst fear was coming true. She was losing both of them.

"You have to tell Mom and Dad!"

"I can't. I want Danny back."

Julie couldn't imagine Tim's parents keeping her from seeing him.

"I'll go see him in the morning. He's an adult. He can't be forced to stay someplace he doesn't want to."

"Jules, he'll need medical care and unfortunately Kev isn't his next of kin. They are no more related than you and I."