"Jesus, Amara. How long are you staying for?" Mason chuckles as he looks at my bags in the back, before starting the car.

"Just one night." I reply, my mind elsewhere.

"I was being sarcastic." he shakes his head.

"Oh, sorry." I mumble, twirling my hair around my finger.

Mason's POV:

"What's wrong?" I ask her.

I really hope my confession hasn't freaked her out, of course it has, why wouldn't it? It's not something you can just brush off. She didn't sign up for this shit when she took pity on a fuck up like me. I think she's mad at me. Maybe I shouldn't have told her.

"Nothing." she sighs and I can tell she's lying, she's such a fucking terrible liar.

"Is it what I told you?" I ask her, hoping that it's not but I already know the answer.

"No." she barely whispers and I want to scream and slam my fist into the steering wheel, but I don't. I fucked it up again.

"Mason, it really isn't, it's about my mom." she mutters, clearly judging my expressions. A part of me feels relieved that her annoyance and upset isn't directed at, or because of me. But I find myself angry at her mom and I don't even know what she's done yet. Maybe I should be joining fucking Jake at the anger classes.

"What happened?" I ask as calmly as I can, wrapping my hands further around the steering wheel trying to contain my emotions.

"I thought she was drinking wine, but it wasn't, it was non-alcoholic. I was really harsh with her, and I was wrong." she says, looking down at her feet and my blood boils.

"Maybe it was wine." I say, before thinking how horrible that would be for Amara.

"I checked the bottle, it wasn't." she sighs again, fumbling with her hair in between her fingers, a nervous habit I've noticed she has.

"Amara you can't blame yourself, you have no reason to trust her, all she's done is prove you wrong when you believe in her." I try to be comforting.

"So have you." my subconscious reminds me, rightly so. I'm such a hypocrite.

"Yeah.." she closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. I realise how fucking inconsiderate and hypocritical what I just said was, I didn't mean to be. I'm not good at being supportive, I've never had to be, or wanted to be.

"I didn't mean it like that, I just meant you shouldn't beat yourself up about it. She wasn't drinking, that's a step forward." I mutter, my words were as sincere as possible but I need to work on my tone.

"Thank you." she smiles at me slightly, despite my shit attempt at consoling her.

——————

"Are you sure he isn't coming back?" she whines for the fiftieth time.

"Amara, if you don't shut up..." I shake my head and she chuckles.

"What if I'm in his bed and he comes home in the middle of the night and squashes me because he doesn't know I'm there and then-"

"Amara!" I yell playfully and cover my ears, that fucking girl is driving me insane.

"Okay, okay!" she holds her hands up in defeat as she gathers her pyjamas from her bag.

She insists on showering before bed and I patiently wait for her to come out. I really wish she'd just sleep in my bed with me, but she's too modest and decided Matt's bed is better. After a while she pads back into the room with wet hair and her pyjamas clinging to her newly dried body.