💚 Is your human a rescue too?

Cute Little one-shot inspired by this picture 🥰 super cute.

Jet black hair shone a little brighter in the summer sun

Jet black hair shone a little brighter in the summer sun. Reflecting the light to reveal the slightest tint of bronze in the messy tresses. They swayed in the breeze like the trees of the park the solider sat in.

He watched the people around him, milling about with their daily lives without a care in the world. Breathing in such a beautiful day.

Ant despised them for it. How dare they move through the world untouched, complaining about the smallest things, not appreciating everything his friends sacrificed for them. Everything he sacrificed for them. He'd never be able to enjoy the world again, this beautiful summer day would never be the same again as his head was tormented by the trauma of war.

Hurley, his veteran dog licked at Ant's clenched fist, sensing the spirally anger before it got out of hand.

The dark haired man let out a slow breath and uncurled his hand for his chocolate lab to lick affectionately at the palm before moving it to his head to pet him. "Good Boy." Ant sighed, closing his eyes and trying to relax.

It was a nice day. A peaceful, quiet day. He should relax.

Take deep breaths.

Calm.

"ROCKY?!"

Flinching at the disruption to his peace, Ant growled to himself and Pet Hurley a little more aggressively, trying to get his heart rate back down. He felt himself relax a little more.

Falling back into steady breathing.

Reducing the tension in his chest.

Allowing the rising fear and panic to subside.

"NO ROCKY COME BACK YA DAFT PUP LEAVE THAT MAN ALONE! SHIT ROCKY GET BACK HERE THAT DOG IS WORKING! LIKE YOU SHOULD BE!! URGHHHHH"

Unable to focus himself any longer, Ant opened his eyes to settle on movement at his feet. A miniature dachshund, dressed in an emotional support dog vest, was sniffing around his service dog excitedly, wagging his tail and ignoring his owner who was stood by a far bench- fidgeting so though in an internal battle as to whether he should follow his dog.

Ant tilted his head curiously. The man was very cute, he was kind of hoping he'd come over.

"Rocky pleaseeee come back!" The lad whimpered, rubbing his hands on his jeans in as a nervous gesture.

The dog, who must have been named Rocky, padded in his owners direction briefly before yapping and running back to Hurley who wagged his tail happily at his new friend.

The Veteranen watched as the brown haired blushed in embarrassment as slowly began shuffling over.

"I-I-I'm S-Sorry sir. D-didn't mu-mean for Rocky t-to to dis-dis-disturb y-youse like."

Ant could have been rude, could have been his usual gruff and aggressive self. But something told him that might just break the lad and so he forced a smile.

"It's fine. Not very well trained for a service dog is he?"

"D-dunno w-what's gotten i-in to him... H-hes j-just for m-me anxiety like. B-but aye. R-right now.... He's cau-causing me a-a lot more a-anxiety t-then I-I need."

The lad breathed in relief every time he successfully stuttered through a sentence.

Ant watched as he knelt down to picked up his dogs lead and smiled at Hurley, but knew not to touch him, "Thats a sweet service dog you got there mister."

Ant arched at eyebrow at the sudden lack of stutter, the same way the boy had shouted at the dog and noticed the boy was looking at his dog, not him. He seemed totally relaxed as he lab sniffed him and licked his cheek. Ant recognised this as a fear of men. Not social interaction. He had a feeling the only reason the boy was even getting this close was because of the presence of dogs. Ant suspected the lad was some kind of domestic abuse victim.

"Aye. He's a good boy. You can pet him if you like."

The lads wide eyes shot to the veteran but they immediately fell to the floor he was crouched on, "A-are you s-sure that's okay?"

"Uhm." Ant replied simply.

The other Geordie grinned to himself and began softly petting the dog.

Ant could feel the boys eyes occasionally flicker up to Ant and the dark haired man turned his deep blue eyes down to catch him in the act. The lad practically squeaked in fear and instantly hugged his small sausage dog to his chest, shaking a little and taking deep breaths.

Anthony huffed, feeling a little bad. "Sorry. Didn't mean to scare youse like."

"Ev-Everything S-scares m-me mister."

The both laughed softly at that and Ant nodded, "Me too kidda. Me too."

Dec read the name on the chocolate labs collar and he pouted softly, kissing his dachshund's head for comfort before looking back at Ant.

"I-if you don't m-mind me askin' m-mister, W-what I-is H-Hurley for?"

Diverting his gaze from the green, sun kissed park, Anthony looked down at the boy knelt at his side and drowned deeply.

"He was my war dog. A veteran now. Says on the other side of his vest."

The Brown haired lad blushed deeply when he leaned over to read Hurley's vest. Bravely, he recovered from his embarrassment and picked up his puppy to sit next to Anthony on the bench.

"Th-Thankyou."

Ant arched another perfectly shaped eyebrow and gestured for Hurley to sit between his and the boys legs. The dog moved as told and laid down between them, the defence mechanism that went unnoticed by the other Geordie.

"What for?" Ant asked, genuinely curious.

"F-for fightin' for us. I-I c-could n-never do t-that like."

A smile worked its way into Ants lips, people rarely ever thanked him and he appreciated the gesture.

"That's alright." Deciding he might as well and try to make a friend for once, instead of pushing them away he asked. "What's your name?"

"D-Declan. M-my f-friends call me Dec. W-whats yours?"

"Anthony... My uh... my friends call me Ant."

They shared a small smile but it didn't last long as Dec's eyes flickered back to the floor, he smiled to himself though, a blush staining his cheeks while he stroked a hand over his puppies floppy ears.

"I Uh... I was going to g-go t-to t-the dog c-cafe down t-the road.... An-and well m-my fr-friend k-kinda c-cancelled on-on me."

"I'm sorry." Ant grumbled not really sure why Dec wasn't telling him this.

Dec blushed and ducked his head into Rocky's fur before trying again.

"W-well see I-I w-was w-wondering I-if y-you'd want t-to come w-with me."

Ant's eyes widened in surprise but he hid it before the young lad could see.

"I Uh... I don't like Hurley being around untrained dogs. Bad influence."

"Oh! Well that's okay! Theres actually a cute cafe next door... they allow service dogs but no others. Y-you can say no. W-we o-only j-just met a-after all."

"No I... I Uh I'd like that. Thanks." Ant smiled at the brave young lad who clearly had to work very hard to ask him out like that and actually felt a little hopeful for today. Maybe it wasn't going to be another shit day.

Maybe this might lead to an interesting friendship.

Maybe it was worth living another day just for that.