Chapter 66

Blinking her eyes open, Katie's grandmother woke up to find herself on the living room couch with Liam staring at her. Yawning, she got up into a sitting position and stretched. "How's our little boy doing?" she asked, picking him up and placing him on her lap. Smiling brightly, Liam answered, "I'm doing okay Nana." Chuckling softly, the old lady hugged the young child. Laying on the floor nearby, Duke and Rooster were panting after having to carry Katie's grandmother over to the couch after they found her on the floor. Max sat next to them, tired from the eventful day.

Just then, all three dogs perked their ears up they heard footsteps coming towards the door of their apartment. "Katie!" Max and Duke barked, wagging their tails. Their energy restored, they bounded over to the front door. Rooster sat up, watching quietly. Climbing down from his great grandma's lap, Liam followed the two dogs as he cried, "Mommy! Daddy!" Opening the door, Katie smiled happily as she exclaimed, "Oh my goodness! Three of my favorite boys! How was your day?" Max and Duke barked their answer while her son giggled and replied, "I had fun Mommy!"

"Look out! Giant bag of dog food coming in!" Chuck called, stumbling inside the apartment blindly. Setting down the heavy bag near the three dog bowls, he wiped his hands before looking around and asking, "Who's hungry for some cheeseburgers?" Liam raised his hand in the air and began jumping up and down as he cried excitedly, "Me! Me! Me!" Duke barked hungrily, his tail wagging, Max was bouncing almost as high as Liam was. Though he rolled his eyes at their reactions, Rooster suppressed a small smile. Grinning, Katie and her grandmother nodded their heads in reply. Chuck headed out to the kitchen.

Minutes later, the family were sitting in the living room and enjoying their cheeseburgers. Even the dogs were allowed to have a few with their dog kibble. Sitting next to Liam and Katie while his tail wagged nonstop, Max breathed in before letting it out slowly. A huge smile on his face, he murmured, "Perfect..."