Chapter 8

Recognizing the voice almost instantly, Max headed over to the open window. Across the street, Gidget was in hers, resting on a pillow about as white as her. A breeze happened to whistle by, ruffling her fluffy fur while her eyes shone and glittered like stars in the light of the bright sun. His breath stolen, Max shook himself and replied, "Hey Gidget."

"Sorry I couldn't talk earlier. My owners were so busy this morning that they were practically faster than a speeding bullet to my eyes," Gidget called back, tilting her head to the side. Sitting down on the floor by the windowsill, Max quickly stated, "No no, it's okay. No need to apoogize."

"Really?"

"Really. I understand that owners can be busy at times."

"Yeah, true."

"Look at mine for example. Taking care of a kid is hard work."

"I'm currently learning that. My owners just had a baby. Her name is Iris."

"Congratulations."

"Thank you. Any plans today?"

"Yeah, big plans. I'm watching over Liam today and helping him get ready for kindergarten."

"Okay, that sounds fun. Bye!" Gidget cried before hopping down from her window. Smiling quietly, Max replied back so she could hear, "See ya Gidget." Getting up to his feet, he padded out to the living room to see Liam and Duke playing with each other. He was about to join them when something clicked inside his brain. He had just been talking to the dog who loved him and he didn't get a chance to say that he loved her back. His fur standing straight up, he muttered, "What am I doing?! Gidget, wait-" Whirling around to race back over to the window, the Jack Russell terrier didn't finish his sentence as he crashed into Rooster. Looking down at the smaller dog, the Welsh sheepdog murmured, "You two need to work on your people skills."

"Speaking of people skills..." Duke piped up. Max and Rooster looked over to find Liam tugging on his ear playfully while giggling. Watching the little boy as he released his hold and went out towards the living room couch, he muttered, "So, little one here's heading to kindergarten huh?" Nodding his head, Max responded, "Yeah." Seeing that Liam was biting the coffee table, the terrier made him stop before he could break his teeth or damage the table. "And he's gonna be meeting new kids?" Rooster went on, his tail wrapped over his front paws. Looking at the sheepdog, Duke answered, "Yeah."

"Including ones potentially more... threatening?"

"Where are you getting with this?" Max asked. Getting to his paws, Rooster answered, "I see a potential alpha."

Shock written on his face, Duke mumbled, "What?"