Chapter 35

Waking up from her morning nap, Gidget was startled when she saw that she wasn't in her apartment, instead in a strange place. Frightened, she jumped to her feet. Then she remembered where she was. Sighing softly, the fluffy white Pomeranian sat down, her eyes watering with tears again. She forced herself not to cry like she had earlier. Looking at the floor, she wondered how her owners were doing. They were probably missing her, maybe even looking for her. The young baby Iris no doubt cried all night long. And all of her friends were most likely worried sick. Closing her eyes as she trembled, Gidget whimpered, "I just want to go home..."

"Oh you do? Door's right over there!" Tiberius called down from where he was laying on his back by the window. Cleaning the last bit of meat from a chicken leg, he tossed the bone over the railing as he added, "Have something to eat while you're on the road." Watching as the bone hit the ground and rolled by her paws, Gidget looked over her shoulder at the second floor of the wooden circular ramp. Blinking away any possible tears, she got up to her feet and turned to face it. Gathering any courage that was left inside of her, she pleaded, "Can you please just help me get home? You can just fly me over there and-"

"That's never gonna happen. You really expect me to help you, don't ya? Newsflash Gidget, I'm done helping others, especially the domestic," Tiberius snickered as he rolled over onto his feet and padded over to the wooden railing. Looking down at the fluffy white Pomeranian, the old hawk continued, "I'm definitely done with helping you."

"Then why did you save me? You could've let me be eaten by the wolves," Gidget pointed out, holding her head high as she returned Tiberius's gaze. She could see something flash in his light brown eyes. Huffing, the hawk turned away from the railing, not replying to her question. However, another one popped into the small dog's head. Glancing around the place, Gidget asked quietly, "How come you're here and not over at the apartment? I thought you lived in a shed on that roof."

There was no reply.

"Hey, I'm talking to you!" Gidget barked. Appearing at the railing again with a frustrated look in his eyes, Tiberius replied, "I'm sorry, were you saying something? I stopped listening the moment you opened your trap. Now get out of here! If you want to go home so badly, why you still here?!"

"Cuz I don't know the way back!"

"Not my problem!"

"Come on, we're best friends!"

"No, we are not you little traitor."

"I recall you accepting that deal. You were delighted to have a friend."

"Sorry, doesn't ring a bell, end of conversation, goodbye!"

Watching as Tiberius disappeared into the shadows, Gidget muttered, "So, I guess that's it then. That's the end of it?" Somewhere in the pitch black darkness, the hawk's raspy voice called, "Yeah. You can thank yourself for that. Now get out." Shocked by how much the old red tail had changed over the years, the Pomeranian's tail drooped. She turned to walk away but glanced over her shoulder one last time. Her voice tinged with sorrow, she mumbled, "I'm sorry you see it like that. I wish you well Tiberius." She heard the hawk scoff in annoyance.

Her heart filled with regret and sadness, Gidget began walking away again when she saw something pass by one of the small windows on her floor level. Petrified, she whimpered, "Tiberius? Can... can you come down here?"