Chapter 60

Opening his eyes, Max murmured, "We're alive?" He was answered by a mew. Looking up, the terrier got a lick to the face from Hu, who had been laying on his back and had caught both him and Gidget on his stomach. Smiling, the small dog mumbled while trying not to get too much slobber on his face, "Thanks Hu." The white Bengal tiger purred. Realizing he was still hugging Gidget, Max released his hold. The fluffy white Pomeranian was blushing, her face a tropical pink. She hopped off of him while he rolled off the tiger who had saved their lives. At the same time, the rest of the gang came racing over. Padding over to his brother with Rooster on his tail, Duke asked, "Are you guys okay?"

"We are totally NOT fine!" Snowball screamed as he and Daisy, along with Little Sergei, came running by. Looking back the way they came, the others yelped in fear when they saw Leo charging at full speed towards them. Growling, Hu rolled over to his feet and stood in the lion's path. "Hu, what are you doing?!" Daisy cried from where she and Snowball were hiding behind a wooden crate. "Get out of Leo's way," Leo snarled at the tiger before letting lose an thundering roar. Unfazed, the white tiger roared right back at the lion's face, his being much louder. It echoed in the area. His golden eyes wide with fear, Leo lowered his head in submission to Hu. The tiger held his head high. Meanwhile, the fireworks were coloring up the sky as the sun sank below the horizon. Watching them, Mel and Tiny began to sing, "God bless America, my home sweet home-"

"Wait, where's Liam?" Max asked, interrupting the chorus. Tossing his head to the side, Rooster answered, "Relax, he's fine. Just playing with a kitty cat." The pair looked over to find Liam playing with Ozone's tail. Lounging on a patch of grass, the hairless cat surprisingly didn't seem to care. In fact, he was purring. Watching nearby, Snowball's jaw had dropped. Reaching over, Chloe had to shut it for him. Sitting on the other side of the white rabbit, Daisy's eyes widened in fear as she exclaimed, "Laohu! Where's Laohu?!"

"She's right here," a familiar voice caught Gidget's attention. Looking behind her, she was shocked by how many circus animals were standing there. Among them was the female white Bengal tiger known as Laohu. Right next to her giant paw was the speaker, a certain red tailed hawk. While the big cat padded over to her true love Hu, the Pomeranian bounded over to Tiberius. "What are you doing here?!" she exclaimed, shocked beyond belief. Shrugging his shoulders while being careful of his broken wing, Tiberius replied, "Well, I'm pretty sure friends help each other, right?" Her eyes wide with surprise, Gidget mumbled, "Does this mean... we're friends again?"

"Best friends?" Tiberius asked hopefully, lowering his head. Her tail wagging, Gidget hugged the old hawk as she answered, "Of course." Smiling quietly, the red tail returned the embrace. Tilting his head to the side, Duke remarked, "Adorable, right Rooster?" However, the Welsh sheepdog wasn't standing next to him. "Uh, Rooster?" the mutt mumbled. Making a chuffing noise, Tina pointed up. Sure enough, the country dog was clinging to a wooden pole as he exclaimed in a shaky voice, "You guys know a hawk?!"

"How'd you even get up there?" Buddy asked.

"You're afraid of hawks?" Max murmured.

"I was almost eaten by one when I was a puppy! How do you think I got the notch in my ear?!" Rooster shouted.

"Interesting story," the lead wolf muttered. Jumping with fright, Max whirled around to find him and the rest of the pack. The leader was soaking wet while his companions had black eyes. One was rubbing his sore head. Looking down at the Jack Russell terrier, the lead wolf stated, "I'm not gonna attack you. We are on good terms now." Surprised, Max exclaimed, "We are?!" The black furred canine nodded his head.

"Can we go home already?" Chloe asked. Standing next to her, Pops added on, "Please?" All the animals nodded their heads, eager to head home. Even the circus animals decided to join the pets on the way. However, no one was able to take a step when the largest firework went off. At the same time, Mel yipped, "Look! A shooting star!" Something dark was falling out of the sky. Squinting his eyes, Max murmured, "I don't think that's a shooting star..." Whatever the object was, it landed on the large trampoline nearby. Flying through the air, it landed on its feet with the grace of a cat. At that moment, everyone gasped when they saw what it was.

It was Sergei.