Chapter 48

Screaming in terror, Duke ran towards the back of the apartment. Realizing that Katie's grandmother was in danger, he grabbed the edge of her coat and tugged on it, leading her into the safety of Liam's bedroom. Mel, Buddy, Sweetpea, Norman, Chloe, Pops and Tiny raced after the large Newfoundland mix. Growling, Rooster met one of the wolves head on. The pair rolled around on the floor, knocking over the coffee table. Max dashed off to help him. One wolf went for Gidget but she punched him in the nose, causing him to yelp. Hu and Laohu were ushered over to the window by Daisy while Snowball took on two wolves. One of them, the lead wolf, snarled and grabbed him by the ears before flinging him out the window. "Snowball!" Max howled, racing over to the window. Falling, the rabbit cried, "Remember me!"

"Hu! Laohu! Run!" Daisy howled when one of the wolves grabbed her scruff. Growling, Hu attacked the lead wolf. Despite being smaller, the wolf was much braver and more bolder, plus more experienced in fights. Headbutting the white tiger, he watched as Hu fell backwards and knocked his head against the windowsill. Yelping, the big cat laid there, unconscious. Mewing, Laohu nudged him, trying to wake him up. Snarling, the lead wolf snapped at her, "Unless you want to watch him suffer worse, I suggest you come with us." Whimpering, Laohu followed the wolf who was carrying Daisy. Looking over at his other pack mates, the lead wolf barked, "Bring whoever you can get." He followed the female tiger out, stepping over Hu's head.

"Max!" Gidget cried, pinned under the paw of one of the wolves. Growling, Max launched himself at the larger canine, desperate to save the fluffy white Pomeranian. The terrier bit down on the wolf's back leg. Howling in pain, the wolf kicked him off. Flying through the air, he accidentally crashed into Rooster, causing the Welsh sheepdog to knock his head against the coffee table. Tumbling head over heels, the terrier could barely keep his eyes open. He could vaguely here a car screech to a stop outside while the wolves left. One dragged an unconscious Rooster while the other carried Gidget, who was crying out for him.

His eyes rolling into the back of his head, Max blacked out.