I hold up a hand, stopping Peter's words. "Hang on. How exactly do you know all of this? You just said that they were alone."

Peter's gaze turns to me. "Back then, I wasn't just Derek's uncle. I was his best friend, his closest confidante. That's how I know."

The former alpha continues on with his story as I jump onto the table and swing my legs back and forth.

Peter stands up and draws a spiral in the condensation on the window. "Our mark for vendetta." He explains.

Stiles lets in a sharp breath. "Man, you guys really take that revenge thing to, like, a whole new level, don't you?"

Cora shakes her head. "It's not just revenge. Losing a member of your pack isn't like losing family. It's like you lose a limb."

"They wouldn't even let him see the body." Peter informs.

Cora frowns as she looks at her uncle. "I don't get it. What does this have to do with Derek?"

"Everything." Peter replies. "It's never just a single moment. It's a confluence of events. Personally, I looked at Ennis' circumstances, I saw a profound loss. Derek saw something different. He saw opportunity."

"An opportunity to do what?" I ask.

"To always be with her." Peter replies.

After more story, Peter says, "The thing was, he had this constant fear. He was obsessing over it, thinking about it all night, all day, always on his mind. I kept telling him not to do it. Everyday the more he thought about it, the more convinced he became. You know teenagers. I bet he even blames me. He's probably convinced the whole thing was my idea."

Peter then goes on to tell us about emissaries and Cora says, "They keep us connected to humanity. But they're a secret even in the pack. Sometimes only the Alpha knows who the emissary is. Derek and I had no idea about Deaton."

"Or his sister, Morrell." Peter adds.

I raise an eyebrow in surprise as Stiles asks, "She's an emissary too?"

Peter nods. "For the Alpha pack."

Stiles narrows his eyes. "Our guidance counselor? Why the hell don't you people tell us any of this stuff, huh? Meg and I shared some really intimate details with her."

"And did she give you good advice?" Cora questions.

I scratch an itch on my hand as I admit, "Yeah, she did."

Peter meets my eyes. "That's what they do. That's what Deaton used to do for Talia."

The former alpha then goes on to talk about the bite. Cora frowns. "Ennis? Why would he choose him?"

Peter shrugs. "Why not? Ennis needed a new member for his pack. Paige was young and strong. Doing a favor for Derek meant Ennis would be in good with Talia. Back then, everybody wanted to be in good with her."

I cross my legs on the table and lean closer. Stiles questions, "He doesn't remember it was Ennis, does he?"

"If he does, he keeps it to himself."

"What happened?" I inquire. "Did she turn?"

"Almost." Peter replies. "He came at Ennis. A 15-year-old boy against a giant. There was no reason for him to fight. She'd already been bitten."

"So did she turn?" Cora asks.

"She should have. Most of the time, the bite takes. Most of the time."

Stiles glances to Peter. "When you offered it to me, you said, ""If it doesn't kill you.""

"If."

I raise an eyebrow at Stiles and he answers, "The night of the Winter Formal, the night you and Lydia got hurt."

I nod, shifting down to his lap before taking his fingers and playing with them.

Peter continues. "I remember taking her body from his arms, to the woods, to a place where I knew that it would be found...another in a long line of Beacon Hills animal attacks."

"And what about Derek?" Cora wonders.

Peter sighs. "Taking an innocent life takes...like Megara said...Something from you as well, a bit of your soul...darkening it, dimming the once brilliant golden yellow to a cold, steel blue...like mine." He flicks his eyes, revealing his steely blue werewolf eyes.

I grip Stiles' hands tighter. Hearing this makes me understand why Derek is the way he is so much better. It breaks my heart, hearing that he had to kill his first love.

Peter eventually leaves, and Stiles stares at Cora weirdly. She frowns. "What? What's this...what's this look on your face?"

"What look?" Stiles questions.

"The kind of look that makes me want to punch you."

Stiles leans back slightly. "Oh, my God. You are so Derek's sister. I forgot."

The she-wolf nods and then frowns. "Well, what is with the look?"

Stiles sighs. "I just don't believe him. Alright, in Ms. Blake's class, we're reading Heart of Darkness, and it's in first person, right? Narrated by Marlow. The thing is that he's...he's an unreliable narrator. You know the details of it have changed, you know, just because of his perspective."

Cora nods slowly. "Well, then we heard the story from Peter's perspective."

"And it's like we're missing part of it, like we didn't get the whole story." I say.

Cora flicks her eyes between the two of us. "So, what, are...Are you just gonna ask Derek about the girl he fell in love with and then killed?"

"If I have to...Yeah." Stiles replies.

"No, Stiles, you can't. That's bringing up memories he clearly wants to forget." I warn, with a pointed look.