3. The Pact

It was a cool morning in the late summer, a dense mist rising from the forest floor stuck to her fur as she ran. The cool night air was fading away as the sunlight heated pillars of air, reaching through the tree branches miles overhead to shine down onto the forest floor. These trees were jealous entities, and hogged the forest floor here, leaving little to no room for anything else to grow. Their massive roots twisted over each other, choking out the ferns and loose grasses that managed to find a foothold. But this only made things easier for her.

She ran as fast as her legs could carry her, weaving her way in between the massive trees. Her claws proved invaluable, digging into the trees as she dashed over them. She didn't know where exactly she was going, but she knew where she didn't want to be. She saw a clearing far ahead, and leapt out of the trees, sliding to a stop in the dew-covered grass. The grasses here were nearly as tall as she was, and she ducked down, listening for footsteps as she tried to calm her breathing.

"I won't hurt you, little one. I promise," a sweet voice said from the tree line behind her. Siren looked through the tall grass for her, but couldn't see her anywhere.
"I understand if you don't want to be around me, believe me. Even I don't want to be around me," the voice said softly from the trees. Siren couldn't see her anywhere, but she could hear her steady heartbeat, and could hear her feet pressing against the tree branches far above her. Siren stayed still, hoping she would go somewhere else.
"But I will keep you safe, I swear it. This forest, these lands, are untamed. There are many beasts living here, and bandits and outcasts from all kingdoms. I don't want to see you get hurt," the voice said softly. Siren could hear her heartbeat, but she couldn't tell if she was lying or not. Siren stayed still nonetheless.
"Please come out, Siren. I'm not going to force you to stay with me, but I can't..." the voice stopped for a moment, and Siren could hear her breath shake slightly.
"I can't fail you too," it said softly.

Siren stood up slowly, looking around cautiously.
"Leave me alone, Matilda," Siren said softly, looking up into the trees.
"Please, let me help you," Matilda said softly.
"I don't want your help!" Siren shouted into the trees angrily.
"I want you to leave me the FUCK alone!!" Siren screamed into the trees, her shout creating a shockwave that echoed through the forest.
"You killed Zoe! You killed Micheal! You killed King's whole family! Leave me alone!!" Siren screamed into the trees, channeling as much power as she could into her shout.

She fired a pillar of sound into the trees she was looking at, tearing the leaves from their limbs and shaking the mile-high oaks back and forth. She listened intently, hearing the leaves and small branches scatter onto the forest floor around her, but she couldn't hear Matilda anywhere. She sat down in the tall grass and began to cry. She was alone now, truly, completely alone. Pulse and Prism were gone, probably dead. Moondust was probably dead as well, and she was alone now. She cried for what felt like hours, until she picked up a soft heartbeat nearby. She pushed herself to her feet and wiped the tears from her eyes.

Standing across the clearing from her was Matilda, with tears running down her own cheeks, sticking to her pitch black fur. But she looked different than the last time Siren had seen her. She had a single bright grey eye, and a spiral of silver fur reaching down her right arm. She didn't seem evil, like Siren expected. She seemed heartbroken. She wore a long black dress that flowed by her legs as she held out her arms towards Siren.
"Please. Let me help you, little one," Matilda said, her voice shaking. Siren felt pity for her, but was also terrified of her.
"How can you help me?" Siren asked, listening intently to the forest around her. But all she could hear was Matilda's heartbeat. They were truly alone.
"I can protect you, and I can teach you to fight. I swear, no harm will come to you while I live," Matilda said, dropping to her knees slowly, still holding her arms out to Siren. She looked like she needed a hug, but Siren wasn't sure about this. She'd heard stories, but she never expected them to be true. Kneeling in front of her was the Witch Queen of Ak-Dovurak, the Usurper of the Vampire Throne, the element of darkness and the Third Nosferatu. And she was begging for a hug.