Original Edition - Epilogue

Start from the beginning

It isn't until I'm out of the place, that my arm gets tugged out of the horde of people.

At the sidelines, I turn to face James, who is looking down at me with a smug smile.

I frown at him before punching his arm really hard.

"Jeez woman! Did you take boxing lessons in your spare time?" he shouts, holding his pained arm.

"What are you doing here? You didn't even call or text or email to tell me that you were coming back!" I yell frustratingly, a hand on my hip.

"Do you not understand the concept of a surprise?"

I roll my eyes and hit him again.

I look around us and realize that everyone has already left like a group of runners. How are they so fast? I sigh, pulling car keys out of my purse. "Well if I don't get a parking spot, I'm blaming you."

To that he just smiles, "Meet you there?"

I grunt in response.

It feels incredibly weird to be seeing him again. Both of us were so busy with pursuing our careers that even when we did talk, it was only for a split second. While learning the company management, James decided to continue playing hockey for his university as he completed his Bachelor of Sports Management. After a couple of years, Gabe finally graduated high school, ready to learn about the company and James was let off the hook. Soon enough, he got drafted to a professional league and it's been crazy since then.

He really had his hands full.

Not to say that I haven't been the same. After years of pushing through, I finally completed my undergrad a few years back. Now, my spare days can be counted on my fingers as I push through medical school. Do I want to die sometimes? Yes. Although it may just be my over caffeinated brain saying things as I get my work done.

The evening is full of chatting and dancing and alcohol. I find myself making frequent trips to the bar. Jasmine paid for it, so I mean, why not?

I'm twenty-three, and thriving. And by thriving, I mean in debt.

So let me enjoy a few free cocktails.

Unsurprisingly, James is seated right next to me, which brings a sort of awkward tension to our table. However, Carol, Mark, Kiera, and Daniel, don't point it out.

Logan hits his spoon on his glass, drawing everybody's attention. Luckily, he did it way lighter than last time, in which he broke the glass, spilling red wine on the table cloth. Both him and Jas' get up and stand to the podium.

They begin their speech, bringing about funny stories about themselves and thanking their guests, when suddenly, it comes to us. "...To my maid of honour, Lara, I cannot thank you enough for all the help you've given, planning this day. You've been planning it since 7th grade, but this past year was really crazy," Jasmine starts.

I interrupt, "No problem! I almost failed the MCAT's to do food tasting, but anything for you!" I raise my glass to her.

Logan continues the speech, "To my best man, James, thank you for helping me plan out the proposal for Jasmine. Without your help, she probably would have said no." He blows a kiss to James, earning a laugh from the guests.

James raises his glass, and "catches the kiss" with his other hand. I almost spit out my wine, laughing.

The night continues with great speeches, including mine, which was mostly a series of my third-wheeling events.

As the night reaches its end, couples find themselves slow dancing on the dance floor. I sit in my seat, observing my friends as they sway, pressed close against each other.

A hand extends out to me and James gestures to the dance floor.

I accept the offer, following him. I place my hands on his shoulders as he places his around my waist. We dance to the tempo of the song and get closer to each other with each step, until my ear is pressed against his chest.

The familiar heart beat resonates with me and I find comfort in him.

He leans down, whispering in my ear, "You did good with the wedding."

I smile, before looking up at him, "Same to you with the proposal."

After seven years of video calls and text messages, stressing, growing, crying, finding ourselves, making mistakes and trying to move on, we still find ourselves dancing with each other on a midnight in late August.

We're older and more mature now, but one thing hasn't changed. As we look at Jasmine and Logan, deep in each other's gaze, I realize, we'll always be the best third wheels.

THE END.

Don't kill me for being late, I was in Pennsylvania, then Niagara Falls, then Toronto! I'm back home today! :)

Acknowledgments to follow, but in the mean time, go check out the first part of my mini-prequel on my page!

Comment what you thought of this and what you want them to do in the future/what you expect.

-Summer ;)