Wattpad Original

Original Edition - Tip 47: Prioritize Yourself

~~~

Sunshine Park, Toronto~November

"You saw that?" he asks, slightly cringing at the thought. I avoid his gaze and try to focus my eyes on something different, like the trees. Yeah, the trees.

"Yeah," I start, fumbling with my thumbs, "I never went back here since then."

"Oh God." he breathes, and I can sense how uncomfortable he feels.

I don't say anything more because I don't know what else I can say.

The chilly wind blows across, and strands of my hair lift up. I shiver at either the cold air, or at the embarrassment I feel for bringing the kiss up. Maybe it was years ago, but it still bothers me for some reason.

Finally, James breaks the silence, saying, "Lara, I'm really sorry you had to see that. I'm sorry I did that. I had no right doing that here, in our place."

I sigh. "Well, we can't change the past, can we?"

"No, but all I know is that we're here together now, and you are my future."

~~~

I let my fingers massage my temples as I try to wrap my head around the situation. Neither Brook nor Bree make any noises, or if they do, I'm too busy acknowledging the buzzing in my ears.

"I can't believe they made out on National television." I mutter beneath my breath.

"Lara, it was a kiss, not a makeout." Bree comments, trying to calm me down.

"Plus, you saw him! He was so uncomfortable! He literally pried her off of him." Brooke adds, but I can't seem to unsee what I saw.

"I've been completely humiliated," I state with absolutely no expression. Maybe through the anger, my body has completely forgotten how to express itself.

My sentence is followed by silence.

There is no doubt in my mind that nobody can argue against me. Sure, maybe he didn't mean to do it. Maybe, the snake herself conspired this whole ugly situation, however it doesn't reduce the amount of embarrassment that has built up for me.

It's all good. Now I'll be walking among my peers, with every *sshole talking about how I was cheated on. The girls who couldn't believe that James actually liked me will finally have a sort of distorted proof that he doesn't actually like me.

Perfect.

"At least it's Christmas Break. You won't have to deal with anyone for now." Brooke half smiles. I roll my eyes at her statement.

"I'm sure this is just a mis-" Bree starts, but I cut her off.

"-understanding?" I finish for her. "Yeah, because I obviously don't understand why this is happening."

The twins sigh. I guess they don't know what else to say to comfort me.

Unexpectedly, the doorbell rings and both the twins get up from their spots, which I find shocking. Most of the time, they yell, "not it!", and force either me or Illa to get the door. I suppose they feel particularly pitiful for me today.

Most of the time, I'd take advantage of this, but I feel too crummy.

I raise up my hand to put a halt to my older sisters. If that's James and the demon, I want to be the first one that they see.