Chapter 21

"Maura left everything to you, Lyndzie."  Moms lawyer said.

"What?" I asked. "Are you sure?"

"It's all right here." He said, handing me a paper.

In the event of my death, I've decided to leave my fortune and my belongings to my daughter, Lyndzie, so that she may prosper without financial stresses and live a comfortable, fulfilling life.

In the event of my death, my son, Jacob Thomas Rizzoli is to reside with my daughter if she is the age of, or  over, eighteen. If she is not, Jacob shall reside with my wife, Jane Rizzoli.

"Wait, what? She wants Jacob to live with me?"

"You're over eighteen. You're the only blood relative he has."

"But, Jane is his mother too."

"Jane has a long road ahead of her. It'll take months for her to recover from the injuries from the accident. AND your mother wants him to stay with you."

"I'm only twenty-two. I just finished college. I can't raise a six year old."

"Under normal circumstances, you couldn't. Your mother paid off your house and your car before her passing. The only thing you need to pay are the water and electric bills...and, obviously, your phone bill...and any other extras. You'll receive checks from the state of Massachusetts every month to take care of all that until Jacob turns 18."

"Why?"

"She worked for the state...with Boston Police Department. It's basically a life insurance policy. In the event of your death, if it is in the line of duty, the state will pay funeral costs, any lawyer fees if they are required and if you have children under the age of 18, the state sends $800 every month to a surviving family member of your choice to help take care of them."

"So they're paying me because my mother was killed while doing her job?"

"...Pretty much..."

I shook my head.