Chapter 15

Maura's POV

"I didn't force anybody to do anything!" The young man yelled.

Jane and I were sitting in the interrogation room across from the young man named Trevor Dulaney.

Jane pulled out a photo of Lyndzie and slid it across the table.

"Do you recognize this girl?"

A flash of worry crossed his face.

"Is she okay? She's not dead is she?"

"No, Why would you think that?" I asked.

"...because you're a medical examiner and she's a homicide detective."

I leaned over and whispered to my wife.

"He's right."

Jane just looked at me.

"Do you know her?" Jane asked him, pointing to the picture.

"Yeah." He answered. "We went out a few times. Why am I here?"

"What's her name?" Jane asked.

"Lyndzie Taylor."

"How old is she?"

"I don't know? Sixteen or Seventeen."

"Did you ever sleep with her?"

"Of course I did."

"Did you ever make her sleep with you?"

"No. I don't make anyone sleep with me."

"When was the last time you slept with her?"

"I don't know! A few months ago maybe?"

"You do realize why you're here, right?" Jane asked him.

"No, I don't! If she isn't dead, and she's isn't hurt, and she isn't missing, why the hell am I here?!"

"Because you took advantage of a minor!" I shouted. "You knew how old she was when you slept with her!"

"Who cares? I didn't hurt her! I would never hurt Lyndzie." He replied.

"Why don't you tell us about the last time you slept with her. A few months ago."

Trevor sighed.

"A bunch of guys and I were throwing a party..."

"College guys?" Jane interrupted.

"Yeah...Anyway, we were throwing this party and Lyndzie showed up with a bunch of friends. I tried to send her home, but she said she needed some time away. Her mom was about to have a baby. A baby that she didn't want with the man she had it with. Lyndzie said that her dad tried to contact her, but she didn't want to talk to him. Then she started drinking. I took her up to my room after she stumbled to the bathroom. She was drunk as hell. She just laid there on my bed. She was trying to say something and she pulled me down on top of her. All she did was kiss me and then next thing I knew, her pants were off and we were-"

"I can't listen to this." Jane said. "Trevor Dulaney, you're under arrest for statutory rape of Lyndzie Taylor. Anything you say can and will be held against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be appointed to you..."

"Wait a second, why am I being arrested?"

"You admitted to taking advantage of a minor while she was under the influence of alcohol. Her parents wanted to press charges."

"What the- I want to talk to her parents!"

"You just did." I said as Jane dragged him out of the room.

I followed her out the door and saw Lyndzie staring at him from Jane's desk.

I walked over to her and put my hand on her back.

"You bitch!" Trevor screamed at her. "I didn't do anything you didn't want me to!"

"That doesn't change the fact that she's a minor and you aren't." I heard Jane say.

I patted Lyndzie on the back.

"You're grounded for three months." I said.

"What?"

"Underage drinking is BAD. Alcohol BAD. Chocolate milk GOOD. You have a court hearing tomorrow morning."

Lyndzie looked at me with wide eyes.

"What?" I asked.

"Are you serious?" She asked.

"As serious as a heart attack." I answered. "Mom and I still love you though."