Chapter 18

"Inmate! Get up! You're being released!"

"Wait, right now?" I asked looking at the clock. "I'm not supposed to get out until tomorrow."

"Yeah, right now. "

"Is my mom here?"

"No. Some other lady." The guard said, before shoving me into a visitors room.

I looked at the woman sitting at the table. Her back was to me, but I'd know that hair anywhere.

"Judge Grant." I whispered.

"I'm so sorry, Lyndzie." Judge Grant said without looking at me.

I could hear her voice crack as she apologized. It was sincere. She was crying.

I walked around the table and sat in front of her. She looked up at me. Her eyes were puffy and red and tears were streaming down her face.

"I am so very sorry." She said again.

"Why are you here?" I asked her, after a moment of silence.

"I need to explain. I need to apologize and I need you to forgive me." She said. "Please."

She reached for my hand and I let her take it.

"I've never been so hard on a teen for drinking. Seeing you in front of me that day just made me so angry. I think it's because you remind me of my daughter."

"Isn't your daughter like, four?" I asked.

She sighed.

"I went to high school with your parents. I dated your father before he was with your mother. We had a child together and when she was two, we were in a car accident. A drunk teenager was with a bunch of his drunk friends and he hit us. Joseph and I were fine, but unfortunately, our Lauren was not. I see her when I look at you, Lyndzie. So, when you were standing in front of me pleading guilty to underage drinking, I thought of Lauren, and those kids that killed her. Then when Jane argued with me, it made me even more angry and I just wanted to make your life a living hell for the next week. Afterwards, though I went back through my case files and tried to change the verdict, but in order to do that, I'd need the governors approval and it could take months to get that from him. So, I used white out to change some things on the official court documents. I'll probably lose my job because of it, but I needed to get you out of here."

"I had a sister?" Was all I could say.

Judge Grant smiled.

"Did my dad love you...I mean, like he loved my mom?" I asked.

"I'd like to think so. Lauren's death tore us apart, though."

After another moment of silence, I pulled my hand out of hers.

"I'm sorry about Lauren, Judge Grant. I really am, but I've spent 6 days in here, almost getting beat, killed, and raped. A simple apology and explanation isn't going to make me forgive you for all that you put me through."

"What can I do to get you to forgive me?" She asked.

"I don't know that I'll be able to."

She nodded.

"I understand." She said. "I don't want you to do any community service. I want to take you home today."

I nodded.

"Let's get you out of here then, huh? Orange really isn't your color."

------------------------

On the way back to Boston from the penitentiary, it was quiet until we reached the city.

"I never thought I'd be this glad to hear the sound of traffic." I said.

Waiting for the Moment (Rizzoli and Isles)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें