Chapter 6

"Everyone else will be here soon." Jane said. "What do you want to do for the next 20 minutes? We could spend 15 of it naked on the couch?"

I smiled.

"I don't think so Jane. A lot is happening in my mind right now. I mean, I'm pregnant, my fiancé just left me at the alter, he left his daughter with me, and I have another child of his growing in my uterus, and I just married my female best friend. Not that I didn't want to, I did want to marry you."

"Maura, shut up."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I understand."

"Would you go for a high school make out session?" I asked her.

"Did you know how to make out in high school?" Jane asked with a laugh.

"Yes, I did. Nobody wanted to admit that they made out with me though."

"Didn't you go to an all girls school?"

I smiled and bit my lip.

"Maura!" Jane said in surprise.

"What? I had to practice sometime! How do you think I got so good at it?"

"You kissed a girl!"

"Multiple girls." I corrected. "And I liked it. Now, come here and shove your tongue in my mouth."

"Okay." Jane said happily.

She flipped me over so that I was laying on my back underneath her on the couch.

She had only kissed me twice before she stopped.

"What are you doing?"

"Shh. There's someone upstairs." Jane said as she walked to her designated drawer to get her gun.

"Jane, it's probably Joe getting his stuff."

"I don't care. He doesn't belong in my wife's house."

"Jane, I'd like for this to be your house too."

"Then he doesn't belong in OUR house." Jane said as she walked up the stairs.

I followed her upstairs and found them both in my room.

"You need to get the hell outta my house, Joe!" Jane yelled.

"I'm just getting mine and Lyndzie's stuff."

"Lyndzie's stuff? I don't think so." I said.

"What do you mean you 'don't think so'? She's my daughter."

"Ha! She's your daughter just as much as I am your wife. I've been there for her more these past six months than you have ever been. I've been her parent. I've been her friend. The school calls me if she's sick or in trouble. I am her emergency contact. I take care of her when you are supposed to. You left her with me when you walked out of the church. She introduces me as her mother to her friends. She doesn't even talk about you anymore. If you are her father you have a terrible way of showing it!"

"You have no idea what it's like to be a parent, Maura. You can't take care of her."

"Then why did you give her legal rights to me?" Lyndzie asked. "Dad, I'm not stupid. That was your plan all along. Find a woman that you could trick into taking care of your kid and then leaving her alone with two kids."

"Wait, two?" Joe asked.

"She's pregnant. Not that you care. I'm not going anywhere with you. Because it's not her that can't take care of me. It's you."

"I've been there for you all your life!"

"Yeah? Where have you been the past six months? While Jane and Maura have been taking me to my softball games and my play rehearsals? I come home every night to a nice, hot, home cooked meal, which is something I hadn't done since mom died. For six years, we lived off of mashed potatoes and Ramen Noodles. You might have been there. But you have never ever been there. So, I'm staying here. Where I'm loved and wanted."

"You should probably leave before the cops downstairs arrest you for breaking and entering." Jane said.

"Whatever." Joe said as he pushed through us. He stopped before walking down the steps and turned around.

"I'm gonna take both my kids."

"The hell you will!" I shouted. "The judge always rules in favor of the mother unless proven unfit."

"Because a fit mother doesn't have a job?"

"I can take care of my children without working! I don't have to work another day in my life, and I'll still have enough money for my children to never have to work a day in their lives. I worked my ass off to get where I am, and you will never take that away from me."

"Just wait."

"Get the hell out of my house." I said.

-------------------

"There they are! The beautiful brides!" Angela said.

"Do you want to tell them, or should I?" Jane whispered to me.

"Tell us what?" Hope asked.

I looked at Jane and she smiled at me.

"I'm pregnant." I said.

Smiles lit up the room. Cheers and congratulations were thrown around.

Before we cut the cake, Lyndzie took the cake topper off and replaced them with birthday candles that spelled out; J+M.

"Should we blow these out?" Jane asked.

We did and we laughed.

"I never pictured my wedding day to be like this." I said as I smiled up at Jane. "But I wouldn't have it any other way."

Jane smiled and put her hand on my stomach.

"Neither would I. I'm the happiest woman in the world today."