Chapter 19: You Want To Touch It Then Be My Guest

Start from the beginning

“I was going to tell you today. Actually he was over the day before yesterday but you were gone… all night in fact. So I didn’t.” His mom replied cutting into her food. Hunter whispered a ‘shit’ and looked at Tristan. They were speaking without voices but I knew that they were on the same page—whatever page that was.

Hunter made slight eye-contact with me before swiftly switching the subject. “So do I have to take the little squirt trick-or-treating this year?” He asked directing it towards his mom. His hand slithered over to my lap and without making a scene I pushed it away.

“No, I’ll be off work to take her around this year. Go to a party, have fun or something. Besides you were in jail last Halloween, you should enjoy this one.” His mom spoke nonchalant about his jail time. I looked up at his face to see his reaction; all I saw was his face blank before shrugging and nodding.

I didn’t know why bringing up jail bothered Hunter so much. I wanted to know why he went and why he got so defensive when someone brought it up.

And if Ryan was back, where was he lurking?

“So Tristan how’s your art?” Hunter’s mom asked and the rest of the evening went that way. Light banter and great conversation. It felt as great as it always does.

***

“You sure you’re Uncle is on desk duty this week? I wouldn’t want you to get caught with me.” Hunter spoke, the small dog tugging on his arm a little from the leash.

“Yeah, I’m sure.” I paused and took a breath of air looking up into the night sky. “Plus it’s a nice night. Not too cold, not too hot and Toto needed a walk.” I pushed a piece of hair from my face and closed my eyes for a couple of seconds.

When I opened them again, Hunter was glaring at Toto who felt the need to stop at ever fire hydrant, stop sign, and pole he saw.

“Hunter stop glaring at the dog and keep walking a bit, he’ll start to come.”  I advised softly yawning. I was really tired and I have no idea why.

The moon was twinkling above us, a few stars scattered here and there. When I yawned again Hunter smiled slightly and wrapped an arm around my waist pulling me to his side. I struggled a little before just giving in because he wasn’t going to do anything but pull me back. I leaned my head onto his shoulder while he took me down a street—alley like. It was just another route to the park.

We walked along the sidewalk aimlessly; I got out of Hunter’s arms as soon as we got there. There were still a couple of children playing and a couple of couples sprinkled around. Toto trotted excitedly handling his business here and there.

“You do know that we have a poop scooping law right?” I asked Hunter while we were walking the small white dog that was squatting on the concrete. Hunter’s hair blew over into his face a little bit and I got lost for a minute. I shook it off and looked back at the dog, then up to the owner.

“Since when have you known me to follow the rules?” He asked me with an eyebrow cocked up. It was really attractive.

“’I’ll give that to you.” I agreed nodding my head. “But what if someone steps in it?” I whined really wishing he would pick it up. I pulled on his arm a little bit but he merely smiled at me before continuing to walk.

“You want to go touch it, then be my guest. They should watch where they step.” He shrugged looking at the leash in his hand. “God I feel like such a wuss with this dog.”

I crouched down holding the dog’s face in my hands “But you love him,” I cooed in that dumb baby talk voice.

“Yeah I guess.”