Surprise Party

I've been very sick lately, and my BFF suggests that I need a heavy dose of SuperMartian to be cured! ;) She's probably right, you know.

This one-shot takes place in the five years between seasons one and two. I don't know when M'gann's real birthday is, but just pretend it comes before Superboy's month-wise in the year.

"Happy Birthday, M'gann!" her team cried, turning the lights on and showering the Martian with confetti.

"Thank you! Thank you!" M'gann said, barely able to contain her surprise and excitement. She took a deep sniff and was met with the sweet smell of cake frosting, cookies, and fresh wrapping paper.

"Courtesy of Agent A," Robin said as he and Zatanna presented a pink and yellow rectangular cake with roses made of frosting.

"And who might Agent A be?" Wally asked slyly as he practically inhaled a bowl of frosting-and-sprinkle covered popcorn. He started to choke on a kernel and Artemis whacked him on the back a couple times.

"He's Batman's butler," Robin answered simply, snaking his arm around Zatanna's shoulders while Wally muttered a "Thanks" to Artemis.

"Well tell Agent A thank you!" M'gann told Robin. She thought hard a moment, trying to think of a good wish, before blowing out the candles.

Connor made his way over to M'gann after everyone's applause began to die down and they all began to fill their plates with cake and other goodies Robin and M'gann's Uncle J'onn had brought.

"What did you wish for?" Connor asked, kissing her on the forehead.

M'gann giggled and kissed his cheek in reply, "If I tell you, it won't come true!" She told him, "Don't you know?"

Connor looked surprised, "Um, no, I didn't. I um, never had a birthday party before. Unless you count Aqualad and the others rescuing me from Cadmus."

For once M'gann was silent. He was right. Connor never had had a birthday before! She excused herself to get some cake and leaned over to Robin and Rocket, "Did you know that Superboy's never had a birthday before?" She whispered, hoping Connor's super-hearing wouldn't catch it.

"Yeah, so?" Rocket shrugged.

"We should do something about it!" M'gann said, "Robin, can you figure out when his birthday is?"

"Faster than Kid Flash can make it from here to DC!" Robin said, pulling up the computer on his special watch.

-------

A few months later, they had everything ready. Presents, cake cookies, everything Superboy liked to eat. Batman even arranged to have Superman come and hang out for a bit.

"Guys, I think he's coming!" Artemis reported from her spot by the door as a lookout.

Everyone, even Superman, hid in the kitchen, behind the couch or under the coffee table as the heavy footsteps of Superboy's work boots came down the hall.

"Why is it so dark?" Connor asked right on cue. Wally ran past, turning on the lights, and everyone jumped out of their hiding spots.

"Happy Birthday!" They cried. Connor looked surprised and possibly scared, until he saw M'gann looking at him expectantly.

"We organized a surprise party for you, since you've never had one before," she explained over a private mind-link with her boyfriend, "Do you like it?"

Connor stared at her another moment before walking over and kissing her, "I love it," He told her with a smile.

"Wait a minute..." Superman started, looking back and forth between M'gann and Connor, then he thought better of it and waved it off.

"Happy Birthday, Supes!" Wally said, running up to the couple with a small blue gift bag.

Connor took the bag and Wally raced off again.

"I wonder what Wally got you," M'gann said, linking her arm through Connor's as he opened the bag.

A stuffed monkey jumped out of the bag and attacked Connor's face with a monkey-ish squeal.

"WALLY!!!" Connor roared in anger.

"Run Wall-man!" Robin told his buddy with a laugh as the speedster raced off, chased by an angry Kryptonian.

M'gann sighed and crossed her arms. Well, at least Connor liked the party. That's what mattered.

"Who wants CAKE?" She called, slicing the blue, yellow, and red cake with Superman's "S" symbol, and instantly Wally and Connor were back in the living room/kitchen complex.

"No mauling anyone, it's your birthday," M'gann warned Superboy, kissing his cheek.

Connor knocked Wally on the head, "Okay," he agreed.

To the right, in the media: SuperMartian music vid with the song "Call Me Maybe"