Still hurts

Narrator

It started about an year ago.

Everything had been going great. But then it all started. Coming home late at night. The excuses about missing a planned date or anniversary. The smell of an unfamiliar perfume. The unexpected gifts he was receiving.

Camila knew it was happening. Shawn was cheating on her.

It was so clear by the way he acted nowadays. How distant he always was, how he would almost never be home, how he would always be texting someone on his phone, how they would always be fighting. It was clear as day.

But she didn't leave him. She couldn't. She loved him too much to lose him. But now she was having her doubts. There's a limit, an extent to which a human can endure pain, and Camila had reached that limit.

She was about ready to leave Shawn but her love for him was still holding her back.

•••

That night, he came home late like always. closing the door behind him gently, scared to wake up the Cuban. He silently walked to the kitchen to the kitchen and planted his car keys and phone on the table and grabbed himself a glass of water.

When he put it back down and turned around he was faced by the Cubans tired looking face.

"You're home." Camila spoke softly like she always did.

"Yeah." Shawn spoke indifferently irking Camila.

"Would you stop doing that?" Camila finally spoke up.

"Doing what?" Shawn spoke like he had no clue.

"Brushing me off like that. Do you know how much time we've spent together in the last few weeks?" Camila asked. Shawn remained silent.

"You don't remember. You know why? Because we haven't spent time together at all." Camila spoke, her body shaking.

"Can we please talk about this in the morning? It's late, I have a headache and I'm tired." Shawn sighed holding his head in his hands. The Cubans face softened and she nodded letting him go upstairs. As mad as she was at him, and as much as she had the right to get answers, she wasn't going to be mean, she was just that way, she couldn't be mean to anyone.

•••

The next morning the Cuban woke up on her side of the bed, a huge distance away from Shawn on the other side of the bed.

She sighed and her heart constricted painfully at the thought of what was going to happen today. She spent her morning slowly, getting ready, taking out her suitcase and putting it aside just in case, going to the kitchen to start on something to eat.

The Cuban was just cutting up slices of bananas to put in her smoothie when she noticed it on the kitchen counter.

Shawn's phone.

She knew she should pry. But she couldn't resist the urge to grab his phone open it up and click on his recent texts.

Hailee 💦
come over later and tell cabello you have to be in the studio or something. I miss you 💋😘🤤

Camila's hand shook as she shut off shawns phone and put it back on the counter. She had her suspicions about Shawn... but she didn't think it would actually end up being the truth. And with Hailee? The one person who Shawn knew Camila despised.

Slowly, Shawn descended from the stairs, his hair wet from a shower.

"Your g-green s-smoothie is in the f-fridge.." Camila stuttered, walking out of the kitchen to hide her tears.