Chapter 48

Lyth held the gaze of the intruder, waiting for them to speak. The intruder looked over their shoulder in fear and then swung their gaze back to her.

"You need to get out of here, they are coming to get me. And after they get me, they are coming after your family. Please go. I thought I could get away and come to you for help. You're the only one I've ever known who left. I am so sorry." Tears flowed as they spoke, pleading her to leave.

"I don't run. And I damn sure don't run from them. Why didn't you come to me sooner? How long have you been hiding out here?" Lyth growled.

The intruder dropped their head and shoulders in defeat. Lyth could see the broken spirit and she hated herself for doing it this way, but she had to be certain. There was more at stake than just her life and future here.

"I've been out here five days. I was waiting until you came out alone. I didn't want to come to the door. I knew you wouldn't see me if I did it that way. She told me you could help."

"She who?"

"Mom. Well, you would know her as Rin."

Lyth stopped and truly looked at the intruder. She could see the resemblance in the cheekbones, eyes, and the way they carried themselves. Rin wouldn't send anyone to her unless it was a dire situation. Lyth also noticed something else and it broke her heart. The child was too young for that burden.

"Why did she send you to me? Don't lie, you don't have long before my people arrive, and they aren't as understanding as I am."

"You're not known for your understanding, trust me." The intruder muttered. Lyth caught herself chuckling at that statement, it sounded like Rin. Lyth raised an eyebrow and motioned for them to continue.

"Because you made it out with your child. She knew you could help me get out."

"I am not out. Or hadn't you all heard that?" Lyth fired back.

"You're not their whore any longer are you?" the intruder spat out.

"No, I'm not in that sense of the word. But I am still involved in their crap." Lyth replied.

"I've heard the rumors that you killed that bastard, Damien. Good for you if you did. He deserved it. They all do. Not a good one in the bunch of them. I wish death upon them all in the most painful of ways."

"What did they do to you?" Lyth inquired, she could hear Rayce approaching. He would be able to hear this as he came up, especially since she had him on the call still.

The intruder looked at Lyth hard. "They took everything from me, my innocence, my family, my love. All they've given me is heartbreak and scars that I will never recover from."

"I'm going to need details kid."

"They killed Rin. They raped me at age 13, killed all my siblings, and best friend. What other details do you need?"

"Your name would be good," Lyth responded.

"Wren. My name is Wren." The girl sighed.

Rayce strode into the clearing, a pistol in his hand pointed at the girl, a look of doubt spread across his face.

"What proof do you have of anything you're saying?" He demanded.

"I have none. You don't know how they work. Unless you've been there you wouldn't have a damn clue." She fired back at him.

Lyth admired the spirit the kid still had. She wasn't wrong, however.

"There should have been something Rin told you to tell me," Lyth replied.

"She did. But I don't think he needs to hear it."

"It's fine. самый верный ."

The girl looked at Lyth in shock and then leerily gazed at Rayce again before facing Lyth.

"She said she was there for the birth of your son. She is the хранитель секретов, друг, and матерью нам всем."

Lyth smiled as a single tear trickled down her cheek. It was indeed Rin who sent the child to her. No one else would have known their secret code.

"How did she die and by who's hand?"

"She said I should not tell you. It would be a bloody mess if I do."

"It's going to be that anyway. It's best you tell me if you want to stay safe. Right now, all that's keeping you alive is my good graces and the fact my son is in the vicinity."

The girl swallowed audibly and glanced around. She hadn't noticed the group of men now surrounding her. There was a young man about her age and one that was considerably younger standing farther back.

"The old man."

Lyth quietly nodded. She had figured as much. Once Ren became a liability to him, he would end her. He would pay, in painful ways, there would be no question. She might have sworn off killing, but he was no innocent and he had sins to atone for.

"Very well. You can come with us. There are rules, you will be required to obey them. Not the kind you're used to but rules none the less. Should you choose not to obey or pull your weight I'll deliver you to them."

The child gazed at her in fear but nodded her acquiescence. The guys lowered their weapons and Rayce walked up. He sized the girl up and looked questioningly at Lyth.

"Later. We need to make sure there's extra security. They will come looking for her. And if she didn't cover her tracks like she was taught they will track her to here. We need to make it look like she didn't get here or passed through. If not, our plan will be shot all to hell. At least until I can come up with a good enough reason to say I require her presence."

"Okay, I will get the guys on it. Why don't you take her to the house and get her cleaned up? She's a mess."

"First she is going to show us were she breached the perimeter and then we will discuss the place of residency. She's endangered my family by coming here, that isn't something I take lightly."

The group followed the young woman to the place where she breached the defenses. Lyth smirked, it was exactly where she would have picked. She couldn't show the girl softness, but she could show approval in her choices. Softness would only harm her at this point in her life. She would need that anger to get through this tough time. Later, then she could handle some softness.

"Good choice on your perimeter breach. Follow me back." Lyth stated quietly.

Rayce watched them leave, confusion etched on his face. He hadn't seen Lyth be this cold with anyone other than him before. If this was the woman they had made her into, he wasn't sure he would survive her.