Chapter 47

The photo and story were front-page news. Lyth looked at it and sighed. They made a beautiful couple. Rayce's dark hair and complexion contrasted with her lighter one. He looked down into her eyes, his lips turned up slightly in a smirk, eyes crinkled in the corners. She looked up into his eyes, a smile on her face, head leaned back slightly. His hands were around her waist and hers on his chest. The caption read, "Heiress and local businessman announce engagement". Their story followed in a full-page article. It wasn't even in the lifestyles section, oh no it made front-page news. Lyth was disgusted by it all. She threw the paper down on the table and walked to the doors, watching the waves roll in. It was a cold morning, too cold to go down to the dock. Ice had formed overnight and she knew it wouldn't be wise to invite that kind of trouble. But oh how the water called to her, it was the peace, you could lose yourself thinking just sitting there listening and staring out. Lyth wanted to lose herself. Not in someone else like she had been for all these years, but within herself, to discover who she truly was. Sure, it sounded selfish and sure she felt guilty about it a little bit, but why shouldn't she? People all over the world did it every day. Maybe once this whole debacle was over with she would take the time and figure it out. The world would be her oyster so to speak.

A small pair of arms encircled her waist and she looked down. Ben was standing next to her in his pj's arms wrapped around her, just looking out the window.

"The water is kinda peaceful huh? Is that why you like to be around it so much?"

Lyth silently nodded her head before she realized Ben was captivated looking out the window, much like she had been.

"Ya, it is. I can think, and sometimes I can just do nothing but stare out into it and have no thoughts at all."

Ben shook his head and wisely kept his next comment to himself. His mom was many things but empty-headed wasn't one of them. He had watched her all the years and knew her mind was always working, it didn't seem to stop, even in her sleep. Sometimes she would talk in her sleep and it often made him wonder just what kind of life she had led before becoming a mom.

"That's good. Will and I are going to be helping Mrs. Jones today. She has a big shipment coming in. What are you going to do today?"

"Rayce and I have a meeting to attend out of town. I am hoping we will be back tonight but Will is going to be here, I can have Vince come out if you want."

Ben wrinkled his nose and rolled his eyes before speaking. "No mom, please no.!He's worse than a girl! Will and I will be just fine." Ben exclaimed.

Lyth put her hand up to her mouth to hide the grin that spread across her face at the look on both Ben and Rayce's face. She couldn't help but burst out laughing though.

"Let's not bring Vince into this. I almost lost my house the last time he stayed over."Rayce shuddered from the doorway.

Rayce grabbed a cup of coffee and joined Ben at the window.

"I like water because it brings peace but also chaos. One moment it can be wild and fierce and the next is peaceful and calm. You never really know what you're going to get but even in the midst of the storm there's still beauty."

"Is that why you like my mom? Because she's like a storm?" Ben asked quizzically.

Rayce choked on his coffee, shades of red streaking across his face before he cleared his throat and replied.

"I guess that's one of the reasons I like your mom. She can kinda be like a storm I suppose. But she does also bring us a lot of peace doesn't she?"

"Yes, she does."

Lyth stood back and silently and watched the exchange.   Ben looked at ease when he was around Rayce and Rayce around Ben. There wasn't the usual awkward silences and stiff body language. It was as if they had been around each other for a lifetime already. She knew at that moment that if anything ever happened to her Ben would be well taken care of. She wouldn't have to worry about him. He was loved here and he would be protected from harm. This stop hadn't been on her map but some force guided them here and for a reason.

If she was honest with herself she would see it was the same with her and Rayce but that would be too much to deal with on top of everything else, so she promptly pushed the thought from her mind and turned to less pleasant things like the meeting happening tonight. This brought a frown to her face. She wasn't looking forward to the drama that would be unfolding.

Who knew how the families would take the announcement of her Rayce's impending nuptials? It was going to be a super touchy subject and they both knew it. They had to sell the id, a however, if they wanted their plan to be successful. She let out a pent-up breath as she watched the boys interact. Her heart was at peace, granted she would need to talk with William before they left and make sure he knew somethings. Shoving off the counter she headed to her room and slipped out the door. She walked the perimeter to work off some of her energy and think without the distractions. The snap of a twig brought her out of her thoughts, and she ducked behind a nearby tree. Her hand reached for a weapon she no longer carried, and she growled in frustration. Crouching down, Lyth surveyed her surroundings, looking in the direction she knew the noise came from. She slowed her breathing to where it was almost silent. If someone was following her they wouldn't find her due to breathing. There was a slight breeze and she smelled deeply of it. The stench of sweat and an unwashed body reached her nostrils, she wrinkled her nose in aversion. The amount of it told her the person was closer to her than she liked, shifting her footing slightly, so as not to alert them she was aware of how close they were she acted like she was tying her shoe and glanced around again. A glint caught her eye in the bushes about 15 feet away. Slowly standing Lyth feigned stretching and started walking in a line parallel to the bush where the intruder was hiding. She pulled her phone from her pocket and sent Rayce a text and started her music. To the casual onlooker, she was doing what most people did when they walked, unaware of the danger around them. Her phone rang and she shook her head as she answered.

"Hey, honey. How is it going up there?" she inquired.

"All is well here love. How's your walk? Did you make it to the fence yet?" Rayce responded playing along.

"Not yet. I had to take a quick break over by the west corner, you know where the big patch of red Scottish bush is? These shoelaces aren't staying tied." She laughed casually. She had given Rayce a location without naming it and he had told her where to go for help if she should need it.

"Sounds like you need some new ones. The boys and I are thinking about joining you. If you want to wait there, we will head that way. And then we can have a family walk." Rayce stated.

"Sure, sounds great to me. I'll wait here for you. Love you!" she replied cheerily. Not knowing who was hiding made her nervous but she knew that just in case it was simply a spy from the families the act must look and sound real.

"Love you too be there shortly." Rayce replied equally as cheery as he hung up. Lyth knew he was already on the move, she could tell by his breathing. She put the phone back in her pocket and began doing some stretches that moved her closer to the bush. The smell was almost enough to gag her. Suddenly a foot slipped out from under the brush and into her line of view. She slowly lifted her eyes and looked into a pair of terrified brown eyes.