Chapter 12-

"How dare you?! What is wrong with you? Do you not understand? You pompous piece of rat crap how much of an honor is it to have a child stare in awe through your shop window and admire what you create? What better method of advertising can you get! You're an idiot and a rude, ignorant one at that. You should be ashamed of yourself, cursing a child in French, what a waste of a beautiful language. Is this how you treat the people here, who support you, your dreams, and goals? You treat them as if they are garbage? If they are less than you? Your grandmother and mother would be ashamed of you. You bring dishonor to your family."

With that, she let go of him, grabbed the small boy that was staring in the window by the hand, marched him into the store and let him pick out a piece of chocolate. Fishing some money out of her pocket she tossed it on the counter and then marched back outside, sending the child on his way with the greatest treasure. His eyes were huge as he stared at the delicious treat in front of him. Before he left he turned back to her, grabbed her leg and thanked her. He even looked at Pierre and thanked him.

Lyth rounded on the Frenchman once again and snapped, "Look, was that not worth it? To see his face light up and you were his hero. All for a piece of milk and cocoa. Oh, and by the way, your prices, outrageous, highway robbery. Hershey's probably tastes better at any rate." She spat at him.

"Madam, I assure you, the cheap chocolate......"

"Save it Frenchie. I have no desire to hear anything out of your mouth. You're a waste of space and air." Lyth replied taking Ben's hand and walked away.

Pierre looked at the crowd in front of him and then down the street, watching the people walk away from his shop and taking their money with them. He resembled a beaten dog. He held his hat in his hands and looked from the shop to the street and back again, fighting an internal battle. Finally, he put his hat back on, headed to the shop, loaded up a large tray, locked his shop door and began handing out samples of adults and kids alike.

Rayce looked on, shocked. One little woman, one Hellcat, had managed that. She hadn't even been here a full day. He went in search of her and soon found her walking amongst the people of the town, Ben at her side and the animals trailing her. He walked up beside her and spoke.

"That was quite the show back there. I don't think anyone has spoken to that man like that, probably ever." Rayce chuckled.

Lyth jumped a little and looked at him, relaxing just a little when she realized who it was.

"Well, he needed it. Someone ought to have beat him by now for treating children that way. It's just not right." She replied matter-of-factly.

"You're probably right." He agreed. A tug on his jeans had him looking down into big brown eyes and a smile.

"Hi, I'm Ben. Who are you?"

"Ben, I'm Rayce. Nice to meet you."

"Race? As in race cars?" Ben asked a grin on his face.

"Ya, something like that just spelled a little different. I guess my dad wanted me to grow up to be fast." Rayce replied with a little laugh.

"That's so cool. Is this your town? Do you live here? Are you in charge? I saw you last night, at that house. You looked kind of scary then, but now you look okay."

"Ben, that's enough son." Lyth scolded. The little boy's face fell just a fraction before his big smile took over again as the dog came up and wanted some scratching.

"Momma, can we keep him? The cat too? I will get a job and buy the food for them." Ben pleaded. Rayce watched the pain cross her face as she went to reply.