Chapter 14

Rayce watched as her face went white and her hands shook. He whipped his head around and saw the hand hanging out of the window of the car coming out of the lake. It surprised him to see her go white as sheet over that, after her performance the previous evening. Standing up quickly he walked over to the counter and requested the channel be changed more kid appropriate. After a heartfelt apology from Dixie, he came back to the table. Lyth was still sitting there in shock, her face a bank mask.

"I'm surprised that bothered you."

Her head swerved in his direction, but her eyes were still far away in thought.

"It just caught me off guard. I haven't seen anything like that before. I am glad Ben didn't see it." She whispered softly to Rayce.

"Me too. Sometimes the media doesn't realize the long-lasting effects of what they show. Are you going to be okay?"

"Yes. My apologies. It's just been a long few days and I am more tired than I thought."

Ben was still busy watching the trains race round and round the varying tracks, completely oblivious to the TV and discussion going on around him. Lyth gently ran a hand down his dark hair and ruffled it slightly. He grinned at her and pointed at the window. The dog and cat were watching them from outside, feet on the glass.

"Guess we better get a to-go order for those little beggars hadn't we Ben?"

"Yes, Mr. Rayce. I think they would like that." Ben giggled.

Dixie arrived shortly thereafter with their breakfasts and Rayce placed a to-go order for the animals. Lyth was lost in her thoughts it would seem, she pushed her food around her plate more than she ate. Ben looked at her quizzically and touched her shoulder.

"Momma are you okay?"

"What? Oh, yes, I'm fine honey. I just got lost in thought." Lyth replied absently. Smiling she dug into her food heartily. There was a companionable silence as they all ate and enjoyed the good, home-style cooking. The clink of silverware and the distant chatter of the other patrons was a nice background noise. The model trains let out a small whistle every now and again as they entered some tunnel or crossed a trestle bridge. When the plates were clean Ben leaned back in the booth and put a hand over his belly and smiled.

"Man, that was good. I'm so full I might never move again. Look I look like a fat old man!"

Rayce busted out in laughter and Lyth choked on her drink and almost snorted it out her nose. This only caused both guys to laugh even more. Giving both of them a disgusted look, Lyth slid out of the booth and headed to the restroom. Closing and locking the door behind her, Lyth walked to the sink and looked at herself in the mirror, thoughts and old fears invading her mind. Grabbing the edge of the counter she let her mind take a trip down memory lane.

The fat meaty hand struck her face and sent her reeling back into the wall. She stood back up, rubbing her cheek and looked into the eyes of the man she hated with all of her being. She would not cower in front of him, ever. Other women might but not her. It just wasn't in her DNA. He laughed as he looked at her.

"You think you are tough but you are not. I know what you hold dear and if you do not do as I say, you will lose it. I am thinking you do not want to lose the boy, yes? He is cute, would make me lots of money if I sell him." The Russian accent was heavy, much like the man from whom it originated. His hair was dirty blonde, his eyes were bulging from the fat surrounding his face and were a pale blue. The hands he used animatedly when he spoke, were fat and stubby, his fingers were as fat and looked as if someone had stuffed sausages in them. The belly was a huge protuberance and moved when he spoke as well as moved. He was a nasty human all the way around and there was nothing more Lyth would like to have seen than him and all his fat dead, rotting away somewhere unseen. Yes, it was a grisly thought, but he had done unspeakable things to so many people.