Chapter 33

Startled eyes stared at one another.

Lyth mentally shook herself and slammed the door shut.

As soon as she realized who she was looking at she knew it might be too late. Her time might have run out. The only saving grace was the man had never seen her in person. He had heard her voice once but never saw her.

Apparently, Auggie had all manner of people attending his party.

A voice sounded from the other side of the door.

"Mam, I am sorry. I got the wrong door."

Lyth didn't respond. This little party could put her in danger if she wasn't careful. She would have to pay careful attention to everyone. The only thing she had going for her at this point, was the fact she had on so much makeup and finery that no one would recognize her. Hell, she barely recognized herself.

A few minutes later her door handle turned after a swift knock and Auggie entered. His eyes grew large as he took in her appearance. She could see him swallow before he attempted to speak.

"Wow." was all he could whisper as he gazed at her.

"Enough ogling me with your eyes. Don't you have a party to attend?"

Auggie cleared his throat before responding, "Indeed we do have a party to attend and it's just about time to make our grand entrance. I was just coming to get you. Looking at you I got a little lost. You're absolutely stunning I must admit. I knew you would look great but wow."

Auggie grabbed her hand and pulled her to his chest, placing his lips on hers in a gentle kiss. He then turned and led her from the room and down the hall.

Lyth's eyes were on the move as soon as they entered the hallway, scanning every nook and cranny, searching for hidden danger.

They arrived at the top of the grand staircase. The steps were marble and the railing metal with glass panels all the way down. Auggie wrapped her arm around his and led her down into the waiting masses.

People oohed and aahed over them as they descended into what Lyth called the pit in her mind. It looked like a colorful painting from hell. Bodies everywhere, pressing against one another, hands reaching out to touch them as they passed. She could feel her inner assassin screaming in agony at the close proximity of potential targets. She smiled to herself and distracted herself with possible outcomes on varying targets. She put her acting skills to good use and played the vapid idiot date when needed, smiling and nodding when appropriate. She began to see faces she knew meant danger. They blended well with the crowd, but she knew them and their dirty little secrets. She counted faces from at least five different "families". There were two possible reasons for this, neither truly good but she would bet her own life that tonight was going to be a night not soon forgotten by anyone. She wondered why Auggie would invite these people here. He had to know who and what they were. She began to listen with more interest when he was speaking with people, tucking away the information she garnered from each encounter. The more she listened, she realized how hard it was going to be to get away. Not that it would stop her, it would just make it more of a challenge. She had hoped to go about unnoticed but the dress and the escort weren't helping that plan.

Spying Jennifer and Rayce she excused herself and made her way over to them. Jennifer looked amazing in her dress and Rayce was handsome in a rugged sort of way in his tux. Lyth envied the ease in which they adapted to this crowd. Lyth knew she would never be comfortable in this type life. Thoughts began trickling into her mind and she managed to pull Jennifer away with her when Auggie motioned her back over.  Auggie's eyebrows rose when she spied Jennifer in her dress. He smiled in appreciation and complimented the woman.

While not as risque as Lyth's dress, it showed skin in places that attracted the eyes

While not as risque as Lyth's dress, it showed skin in places that attracted the eyes. Jennifer began speaking with people and shaking hands. Lyth managed to sneak away until a large hand encircled her arm and pulled her to a stop. She rounded on the person, only to find herself face to face with Rayce. His eyes looked from Jennifer to Auggie and then back to Lyth.

"You stole my date to get out of your date?"

"Basically," Lyth replied shrugging her shoulders.

"That's going to cost you this first dance. Hope you're ready."

The music began and Rayce pulled her out onto the floor. He wrapped his arm around her waist and grabbed the other one and held it tight in his hand. Suddenly he was sweeping her around the dance floor gracefully. Being well versed in dance made it easy to follow along after him, and maybe, just a smidge fun. Lyth found herself grinning at Rayce as he twirled her around the dance floor and he smiled in return.

Unbeknownst to them, all eyes followed them around the floor. They made a striking pair. Light and dark, yin and yang. Graceful, yet dangerous in their grace.

As the song came to a close Rayce dipped Lyth and they came nose to nose. He looked into those deep eyes and knew he was in trouble. As luck would have it a tap on his shoulder saved him. Applause sounded from all around them. Pulling her up he turned and found himself face to face with Auggie.

"Would you mind if I have the next dance?"

"Not at all my friend," Rayce replied clapping him on the shoulder and smiling.

Auggie took Lyth in his arms as another song began and moved them across the floor. He was as smooth as Rayce but he wasn't as relaxed in his posture.

"It would seem you stole the opening dance show from me darling." he seethed quietly.

Lyth looked up at him in shock but quickly schooled her features.

"It was not intentional by any means. After all I think you and Jennifer looked quite, comfortable, together when I was asked to dance." Lyth replied icily.

"Careful love, I might think you're jealous."

Lyth laughed at the remark, not even bothering to respond.

As luck would have it the song ended shortly after that. Auggie went to pull Lyth along after him but she slipped his grasp when someone stopped him to shake hands. Slipping through the crowd she found a quiet corner and pulled her phone out. She sent Rayce a quick message about the questionable guests and then sent a text to a private number for a pickup. Putting her phone away she scanned the crowd locating Auggie who was , again, engaged with Jennifer and some other person in conversation. She smiled to herself as she skirted him and made her way out onto the balcony and slipped over the edge when no one was looking. Pulling her shoes off and hiking up her dress she made her way along the tree line in the cover of darkness and found the car waiting for her. Opening the door she slid onto the leather seat and the car took off headed for a destination even she was unaware of.