Chapter 34

The car glided silently along the gravel road. Lyth sat upon the seat waiting for the call. She had decided last minute not to appear in person, rather via face time. The joys of modern convenience were something to be truly grateful for. Her phone rang, and she accepted the incoming call. A face she loathed was visible on the screen. It took all her considerable will power not to sneer at him. Sitting back in the shadows she only allowed a bit of her face to be seen. It was a small power play but one that she knew he couldn't stand. The nasally voice came across the phone in a tone that never failed to grate on her nerves.

"Glad you could join us. I wish it was my son I was seeing instead of you."

"Trust me the feeling is mutual." She snapped, a small smile gracing her face.

"Why you..."

"I think that is quite enough. We are all here for a meeting so let's commence our business." Another voice stated plainly.

A voice Lyth would never forget. She held back the chills that rang along her spine. That voice belonged to one of the most dangerous people on earth, the one person who started the nightmare that was her life for so many years. The aged man's face appeared on screen and he peered at her through the phone.

"Still as lovely as ever I see, even hiding in the dark I hear you were quite the eye catcher at the party tonight. It's good none of them know you my dear but one photo was enough for me to know who you are, even with all that makeup on. Don't forget yourself or your place child. It's come to our attention that some members feel you murdered your husband. What say you?"

Lyth laughed mirthlessly. The hollow sound carried.

"I shouldn't even dignify that with a response. Put plainly those who know my abilities know I would never be that sloppy or careless. It's not my style. I stood to gain nothing from that."

"Yet here you sit in one of the most powerful positions." Another voice stated.

"And what good does it do me truly? I don't get the wealth that comes with it. All I get is more responsibility and headache."

"What do you mean no wealth?" the voice questioned.

"There is a legal document in place that if Damien was to die all his wealth and worldly possessions go to his son. The business end is to be managed by his guardian until such a time as he is of age." The old man replied.

"We were on our way to having this meeting with you and be presented to all of you. And now here I sit in a car driving along, missing out on MY life to deal with this. I didn't ask for any of this, nor did I want it. However, until such a time as my son is prepared to take over, I WILL be here. Don't attempt to challenge me for this position, it won't end well for you. You all know I will take a life if I must. I don't enjoy it, but I was trained to do it by the very best. Be prepared for change. I am not leaving a crappy legacy to my child." Lyth declared.

The gasps could be heard clearly at her declaration.

"What do you intend to change child?" the old man inquired.

"A great deal. This "organization" had become full of stagnant practices that no longer work in the world we live in. You've sent multiple people to get rid of me since the accident. That must come to a stop. I won't hesitate to make everything you've done public. Each one of you, myself included so don't think to blackmail me into cowardice. I suggest you look at the ideas I present to you with an open mind and attempt to see the potential. You won't contact me unless by e-mail, you will send no one to spy on me or interfere in my life in any way. I have something going on where I am that plays into all of this. Anyone you send won't be returning and I will send someone to visit your families in return."