Chapter 35

Lyth and Rayce walked back into the party as if they had only been out for a stroll. Lyth's arm was draped loosely through Rayce's and they chatted as if they hadn't a care in the world. As a slow song came on Rayce led her onto the dance floor and they began to sway to the music. He would whisper in her ear and she would laugh or smile in response. A piercing gaze followed them as they spun around the floor.

Lyth could feel the gaze burned into her back and she smiled a little bit more. She placed her lips close to Rayce's ear and whispered. His smile was mischievous, and he took a moment to dip her and then spin her around some more. This focused the attention on them and not on certain others.

Auggie, never being able to resist a challenge, especially from Rayce, grabbed Jennifer and marched to the dance floor. A flick of his wrist and the music subtly changed to something more appropriate for what was about to commence. He was certain Rayce and Lyth wouldn't know the proper moves for this style of dancing. He could only hope Jennifer did. The beginning notes of "Despacito" began to fill the air.

All eyes were drawn to the dance floor and all activity stopped. The hush was palpable but thrilling at the same time. Lyth let a sly smile cross her face as she looked at Rayce and winked.

His eyes widened a fraction but that was his only reaction as she sashayed her way back to him, running her hands along the sides of her body. She placed a hand on his chest and let it slide down and she began to move her hips suggestively to the beat. He grabbed her hand and spun her around, her back to his chest and then slid his hands down her body, not touching her. She moved her hips and swung her hair around. The song and dance that matched it was a very suggestive dance. Some would call it a "dirty" dance.

Auggie found himself watching as well. Jenn wasn't near the dancer Lyth was. She captivated people wherever she went apparently. He found the sight of Rayce's hand touching her in the manner they were ignited a flurry of jealousy in him. The dance between the two of them was so suggestive even Auggie raised an eyebrow a time or two. As the song drew to an end the captivated audience let out a cheer and a round of applause.

Rayce looked at Auggie and smirked as he let his arm do the talking, inviting Auggie and Jennifer to the dance floor in hopes of winning the next round. Jenn whispered in Auggie's ear and he smiled at her, although it didn't reach his eyes. He spoke to the band and shortly strains of a waltz began. Auggie pulled her onto the floor and began the dance. They flowed flawlessly across the floor in the elegant dance, but it lacked passion, and even Auggie could feel it.

Lyth watched them and found herself wishing they had passion and flair. It would ignite their dancing and take it to a whole new level. Rayce's arm was around her, his hand at the small of her back. She watched him watching them.

"They need some passion. It's what they lack." He muttered under his breath.

"I was thinking the same thing." She responded.

"Do you know this dance?"

"I do. There's not many I can't do."

"It might be rude to upstage Auggie at his party, but with the recent developments I'm not feeling too generous," Rayce stated.

Lyth chuckled at him and let him lead her to the floor once again. They assumed the formal position and when the appropriate moment came they began dancing. Lyth let him lead since it was appropriate for the dance. Rayce led her around the floor effortlessly. There was give and take, fire, and passion in their dance. They traded smiles, laughter, and insults along the way.

It couldn't be denied they made a stunning pair, on and off the dance floor.  Whereas Auggie and Jen made a striking pair, they lacked the fire the other two possessed. Auggie could see that this was a contest he wasn't going to win and it irked him to no end. He knew then and there he had made a bad choice, but at this point, there was no fixing it. He would simply have to live with the consequences.

Jen, on the other hand, was furious at being upstaged by two common people. She couldn't believe the people were watching them instead of her and Auggie.

"Who do they think they are?" she fumed.

Auggie simply looked down at her and smiled sadly.

"They are fire and passion. They are what other people hope to someday find, both in themselves and in someone else. Don't be shallow. It's unbecoming." he stated quietly.

The redhead stewed silently, throwing glares at Rayce and Lyth whenever she got the chance. This did nothing but fuel their fire and humor. The dance came to an end and both parties exited the floor in search of refreshment. Congratulations were issued to both couples by many people, both heartfelt and bold face lies. Rayce could see Lyth growing steadily more and more tired of people as they attempted to make their way through the sea of bodies. Finally, they made it to the refreshment table and he handed her a glass of something. Lyth took a swallow and practically choked on the foul liquor. She promptly sat it down and found some water. She was tired, no doubt about it. Her feet were beginning to hurt, and people were wearing her patience and nerves thin. She knew then and there she wasn't meant for the spotlight. She much preferred to operate out of the shadows. The meeting hadn't gone off as smoothly as she planned but at least she had them by the short and curlies presently, and if need be, she would keep them all that way. There would be at least one idiot who would try her, and it would be his ruin. She found herself grinning at the prospect. Rayce looked over at her and raised an eyebrow in question. Lyth simply just smiled and shook her head.

"It appears I picked the wrong dance partner." a familiar voice said behind her. Lyth turned and smiled but said nothing in return. She wasn't sure she could trust her tongue to be civil at this point. She would never admit it out loud, but he had hurt her.

"Don't be angry love. It's simply a strategic alliance I need. She fills a need presently. Doesn't mean my feelings for you have changed any." Auggie tried to explain, not realizing how much worse he was making it.

Lyth tried to hold her tongue, she did but somethings just had to be said and it was now or never, as she knew in her heart this was the last time she would see this man by choice.

"Well in that case.... How about you take your business, yourself, and your woman and make like slimy snakes you are and slink back to your den. My feelings have definitely changed towards you. You would be wise to stay the hell away from me. You only think you gained a better alliance there. I'm going to sit back and laugh as your little empire you made crumbles to dust. Take your high ideals and ride out on that high horse your rode your pretentious ass in on. While I like the car, you gave me you can take that and shove it up your ass as well. You shouldn't step on the backs of the people who helped you get where you are. If it weren't for them, you wouldn't have shit. They built this world you live in, not you. God forbid you get your hands dirty doing any kind of manual labor. Know this, I will be sitting back watching when your world crumbles around you and I will have no pity or mercy when you try to come crawling back." She furiously whispered to him.

Auggie's eye rounded and he physically pulled back from Lyth as he listened to her. Rayce had slipped up behind her when he saw Auggie start to speak to her. He had willed her to keep a civil tongue in her head silently, but he knew after what Auggie had said even he wouldn't have been able to keep quiet. What she said was brutal. Even Rayce was a little shocked at the amount of hidden danger her words were laced with. Rayce placed a hand on her shoulder silently supporting her. Auggie noticed this as well and the hurt that flashed across his eyes was fleeting. They had been lifelong friends, but the betrayal he had committed was of the worst kind and it couldn't be forgiven.

"It's time to go Lyth." He suggested.

Lyth nodded and they turned to leave, Rayce's arm wrapped around Lyth's waist.

A loud noise and then shaking so intense it wasthought to be an earthquake shakes the building. Rayce shoves Lyth down in analcove as the building begins to collapse. People scream and try and run forthe exits but to no avail. Huge chunks from the ceiling begin to rain down,crushing anything and anyone in their path. Rayce tries to use his body tocover Lyth but she won't have any of it. Spying a light underneath, a nearbywall she drags them both towards it, trying to avoid the danger falling fromabove. They shove the hidden panel open and tumble down into the dark.