"I know," I answer. "But I don't want to lose another friend because of a fight." Belethrorn turns his head. His face fully visible and I wince at the damage I caused. "Does it still hurt?"

"Every day," he answers softly. He smiles lightly, but it looks more like a grimace. "But missing Beorn hurts more.." I smile back at him. 

"He sure was a friend to everyone wasn't he?"

Belethrorn chuckles and nods his head. "He was... I missed this. Us talking without being angry all the time."

"Me too."

We set up camp in the forest and spent our evening telling tales from weeks ago. The night air around us fills with our laughter and our cries. 

"Do you remember that time where Beorn thought he was being hunted by something?" Fawnaya chokes. 

"Yeah, it was a bunny. The ears were cute though with those little spots." I say remembering that day. We were walking through the woods between Ravenwood and Cucera. Beorn started running all of a sudden because he thought he was being attacked by a predator. When Fawn and Belethrorn went to look for the creature all they found was a bunny hopping around in the bushes. We made fun of him all week. I let out a yawn and stretch. 

"I think I am going to sleep, riding all day tires me out."

"Me too," Fawn yawns, "and I am sore everywhere. I feel like I have been spreading my legs for the past few days."

"You have," Belethrorn comments dryly. 

"If that were the case I would have been rich by now." Fawn turns around, making her back facing us. "Goodnight."

The following morning I wake up to birdsongs that echo through the forest. We eat the last pieces of bread whilst looking at the map, trying to figure out where we are going.

"Where are we headed today?" Fawn asks with her mouth full. I take the compass in my hands and the needle points sharper to the east.

"Seems like the Emmerwald to me," Belethrorn answers.

"The Emmerwald? The one with no leaves?" I stare at the map. The Emmerwald lies Nort-east from Nyr. We should be able to go around the queen's premises. I don't believe she has given up the search for me. But the dead forest is fascinating. For as long as I can remember that forest is leafless. I've read every book on it but none ever contained the reason why it bears no leaves.

"It appears so, let us not waste any more time. Get the horses ready," I tell them and roll up the map. I pack my gear and stash the map in my saddlebag. We continue our journey South. A few days later we arrive at the Emmerwald. Even though the leafless trees tower me. It holds a strange comforting ambience. An invisible force calling me to enter. I spur Rochelle on making her walk forward. 

The deeper we enter the forest the more anxious Rochelle becomes. I lean forward and whisper in her ear. "How are Reinhard and Kaja? Rochelle is getting nervous," I call out over my shoulder. 

"Kaja is fine," Fawn answers. 

"Reinhard is stoic, but he seems calm to me."

I let the pull lead me through the trees. Soon enough I leave the path we had been following so far. "Arwyn, where are you going?" 

"No clue, I am following the compass." That is a lie. But they don't have to know that. I squint my eyes. The pulling sensation fades away and I am left standing in a clearing, trees all around. I take the compass from my pocket and look at the needle. Straight ahead. I dismount Rochelle and lead her further through the forest. 

"Arwyn?" Fawn asks, "what are you doing?" I ignore her question and walk on. Something is not right here. I pick up a twig and throw it forward. It disappears mid-flight. 

"I think we found it," I answer and turn around, smiling. "I think we found the location of the temple. They made it invisible with magic."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Belethorn dismounts Reinhard, leading him as I do. 

I bite on the inside of my cheek. This is it, I am going to meet my family. I take a deep breath and take my final step forward. The forest around me disappears and I find myself standing underneath a large stone arch. The forest floor changes to a paved road going upwards. Further along, I see thick walls and high towers with orange roofs. The walls seem old and are in some places, overgrown with yellow mosses. But I can't see anyone. Where are they?

We continue down the road and pass a few more arches that also act as bridges between the buildings and the barricades on the outer walls. "What is this place?" Fawnaya breathes in awe. 

"I have no idea," I answer her. The road turns slightly and we arrive at a large gate. The doors are made of heavy charcoal wood and are reïnforced with steel that always seems to glow from heat. "I have never seen buildings this big before."

"How do we open this?" Belethrorn asks from behind. I turn my head and shake my head. 

"Don't ask me." Belethrorn hums in response and inspects the hinges. 

"They should open in our direction, maybe the horses can get them open?" Belethrorn suggests. 

"Huh, that could work."

"I do have some good ideas Fawn, something you might have noticed over the last couple of months."

Fawnaya turns her head and looks Belethrorn in the eye. "Not really."
We span the horses in front of a large piece of wood Belethrorn retrieved from the forest and let them pull the door open. They manage to move the door enough for Fawn to slip through and she opens the gates completely from inside out.

Once we are inside we step into a large open courtyard. I notice several buildings with equally large doors as the gates and buildings with doors that are normal. Above the large ones, there is a description carved into the wall. Only in a language, I can't read. We head further down the road, passing more buildings that all seem to be empty.

"What is this place?" Fawn asks again.

"I still don't know Fawn," I answer her chuckling. She turns around and glares at me.

"Funny," she replies sarcastically.

I raise my hands in defence and avert my eyes. All buildings are made from stone. Some towers have blackened spots. As if they have been on fire. We spot a stable and let our horses rest while we explore the rest of the fortress-like structure.