Chapter 32

The fire died in the night, but that was to be expected. All that remains are a few glowing embers. I was the last one to wake up this morning and I have slept terribly. I kept having nightmares about every single one of my friends stabbing me in the back, literally. With heavy I eyes I stare at the stretched path of land before us. It will take at least a whole day to cross that one. Last night, Fawn has braided my hair out of my face again. With a yawn, I stretch my arms.

"Good morning your majesty," Aggir greets me amused, "bad dreams?" I glare at him before nodding.

"And please, don't call me that," I add sighing. Today is going to be a long day. We set off not long after Beorn threw some water over the last glowing embers to prevent the forest from catching fire. Aggir made it clear that one of us at all time should be awake during the night to keep watch. He says that in the mountains large packs of Scimitar roam the flanks and valleys of the mountain range.

A small plume ascends in the distance. It's white smoke slowly mixing with the clouds. When we move closer I can see the outlines of a homestead surrounded by the biggest goats I have ever seen. With long legs covered by a long-haired coat with huge twisted horns on top of their head, they roam the plains. Two equally as large dogs protect the herd and growl slightly as we reach the outer skirts of the flock.

"Jan!" Aggirs voice echoes through the sky. With a broad smile, he approaches a hunched figure in the middle. With a raised staff the figure greets Aggir like an old friend. The two share a manly hug and place their hands on each other's shoulders.

"Aggir! What brings you to my place?" He asks with surprise. "It's good to see you friend."

"Guiding business, hows the wife?"

Jan's eyes light up and his smile widens even more. "Very good, Aida has given birth to my beautiful baby girl about a moon ago." He uses his staff to push one of the goats away, which was nibbling on his clothes.

"Ah, that explains why we missed you at the Choosing," Aggir comments, "congratulations. What is her name?"

"When she was born, she is like a dream come true Aggir, the only fitting name for such beauty was Aislinn," Jan answers with pride. His eyes wide and shining like the moon reflecting in a lake. "May I ask, I haven't heard who's won the Choosing this time."

Now it was Aggirs turn to beam with pride, "My son Jan." He pauses for a few seconds, "as did Darya, Esmond's daughter. Fierce one that is."

Jan looks at his friend with confusion. "Two?" Aggir nods.

"Aye, two. There are dark times ahead Jan. According to White Raven, war is upon us. We now have two Valkyries and three Berserkers."

"Five in command?" Jan asks Aggir shocked. His voice even reached a higher note than his normal tones.

"Yes, now. Let me introduce you to my friends behind me," Aggir starts off, "the man with the staff is Belethrorn and his boyfriend next to him is Beorn."

The two men look shocked that Aggir would reveal such a thing to a stranger.

"How did you..? How did you know?" Belethrorn asks shuffling om his feet and awkwardly scratching the back of his neck.

"Well, if you want to keep your activities a secret. I suggest you be more careful to keep quiet. Wooden homes tend to be quite noisy," Aggir explains with a smirk. Beorns cheeks heat up and the tips of his ears turn red. "Don't worry, unlike the Sunnegod, White Raven accepts Gliwwing relationships," Aggir adds with a wink.

I glance at Fawn who gapes at the two men. "So that is what you and Arwyn were talking about," she shrieks, referring to the time she caught Beorn and I discussing Belethrorn his abs. "Oh my god I can't believe it," she mutters and grabs a handful of her hair.