Chapter 33

Aida's expression darkens. She moves closer with a scowl on her face but is held back by her husband. "Easy Aida, I believe we owe each other an explanation," Jan says and looks at us. The tension inside this home has gone from non-existent to as thick as a dwarfs porridge. Jan sighs and sits down in a rather comfy looking chair in the corner of the room. "Please, take a seat. I believe we have some explaining to do. What do you know?" He asks after a short pause.

This day, this adventure is getting weirder by the minute. I glance at Fawn, she's still sitting in the same chair admiring her now-healed wound. Poking and pinching the skin, as if to see her skin is real. It is, I am the living, breathing proof. I turn my attention back to the men by the fire, to find them all looking at me.

"What?"

"Well, you are the leader of this fellowship," Aggir drawls.

"I barely know what to eat and what not to eat. One mistake from me and we're all dead. If you think I am the leader, then I am the worst." It's true, I hadn't thought I would need to know any survival skills. A while ago I still lived inside the safe walls of the castle, never even thinking about me needing any skills like setting a trap, killing someone or how to make a fire. The only concerns I had were how to irritate my mom, which dress can I ruin and what book will I read next. I sigh and take a seat on one of the stools. I tell Jan everything from the moment I fled my home when I learned I couldn't decide my own future to the events back in Ravenwood. Fawnaya watches me with a new expression on her face. Adoration? Fear? I'm not sure.

"That is all I know," I tell Jan. "I don't know what is going on at the moment. I have many questions, all of them equally as confusing and complicated as they are simple." Jan nods. He straightens his back and closes his eyes for a second.

"It was during the last great war. In times when the Merillian was still a place where the most powerful elves were educated, learned how to control their gifts," Jan speaks softly and stares at a black circle on the opposite of the room. "We had just welcomed our latest year of new students, elves who showed they had the gift of magic. It was just a day as any, they arrived, were shown their dorms and gathered in the great hall to start the adventure of their lives until, until we got attacked."

"They gave no warning," Aida interrupts, balancing her newborn daughter on her right hip. "An army of orcs burst through the doors and slaughtered everyone. Seventy-six new students, eighty-nine second years, fifty-six third years and fifty fourth years." Aida walks closer and sits down in the last remaining chair, gently she caresses Aislinn's face. "I can still hear them scream when I sleep at night. I still hear their cries for mercy, their cries for help."

I look down at my lap. How can I not know this? How can we never heard about this, slaughter? I seek eye contact with Beorn, who seems to be equally as stunned as I am.

"I am sorry to hear this," I start slowly, "we never knew." I furrow my brows. "How come we don't know? Who would do something like that? How did you survive? I have so many questions."

"Easy Arwyn, all answers present themselves when needed. For now, I am afraid I can't answer some of them. Aida and I don't know who was behind the attack. All we know is that whoever did it wanted all Harlan gone, so they could murder the prince." Jan stands up from his seat. "The only thing I don't understand is how you found the princess, Aida and I have been looking for her for years after we heard she was given away to protect her."

"Look, I am sorry to inform you but, I am no princess of any kind. My dad is the commander of the city guard in Cucera," Fawnaya says annoyed. Aida shakes her head.

"You were given away as a newborn babe. You can't possibly remember."

"Hold on, you were teachers at the Merillian?" Belethorn interrupts. Jan smiles at him like a proud father.