Chapter 2

"Why is it that I always find dirt in your room?" Mother sighs irritated and starts to mumble to herself. Probably about me, she always does that when she wants to get angry but can't express it because of some reason.

I merely shrug as an answer, not wanting to have a conversation like that right now. She quickly gives up and orders Francesca to do something I choose not to pay attention to, instead I walk over to my balcony. My room is partly in a tower, so I have a little round balcony, which is overgrown by flowers and ivy. I look down at the garden and see all the preparations for tonight.

Hundreds of candles are placed everywhere around the place and I see a team of workers install a strange thing near the fountain. Large tables are being placed by the edge of the garden on the left side. The maids are cleaning every path and the gardeners are making sure every flower is beautiful and in the right place while the musicians practice the songs for tonight. Even though I can't see it, I know for sure that the throne room is cleaned until spotless and the floor is polished until she shines, so the dancing couples will be able to dance in their own reflections.

The kitchen must also be a busy place today, you could almost smell it outside in the slums. I asked for only one thing at my party and that is a cake. It doesn't matter what size, I just want a cake.

Francesca helps me with my hair and braids it beautifully placing a few ivy leaves in between the braided hair. I smile when I see my finished look in the mirror, it's simple yet elegant. As for finishing touches, I wear matching jewellery, a matching circlet and earpieces. Both a golden colour, decorated with leaves and embedded with forest green gemstones.

I walk back out on my balcony again to watch the first guest arrive at the backyard. I guess there will be a lot of people coming, knowing my mom she invited half the population. Well, only the high-class elves and the very wealthy shop owners or merchants. Ever since I was ten years old the only thing she could talk about was my future, which she planned for me. I would grow up to be a proper high-class lady, with the finest manners and the most elegant movements. She made sure I took my dance and any other educational classes she could think of. Except for the fighting classes and the strategy classes, 'such classes are for boys only' she'd say.

She wanted me to grow up well educated and well mannered so when I would be old enough to marry, I would have a sea of suitors to choose from. No doubt today will be just another event for me to get to know as many of the available suitors in the realm as possible.

"Miss, are you coming?" Francesca asks me and I turn around. She's looking beautiful tonight. Her tanned skin complementing the light blue dress she's wearing. It's flowy, just like mine.

"Don't you look dashing," I smirk at her and she starts to blush.

"Not quite as much as you miss," she answers politely while blushing harder. I smile at her reaction, knowing full well she's had this ever-growing crush on Druten, our caretaker of the royal horses.

"He'll notice you," I wink at her before walking past, "I heard from reliable sources he has an eye on you," I tell her smiling and she blushes even more.

"Then, what should I do?" She stammers and I laugh. 

"Dance with him, of course."

Francesca's eyes grow wide and she shakes her head, "I'm not allowed to dance miss, I'm merely a servant. My job is to look out for you," she rushes and I raise an eyebrow.

"My mom told you to keep an eye on me didn't she?"

If I hadn't the mastered the art of shooting a bow and arrow the tiny nodding movement of Francesca's head would've gone unnoticed. I sigh deeply, I should have known.