Chapter 38

"I love you."
The three words hung in the car for a moment. I was still trying to get my breath back from sprinting across the lawn never mind having my breath taken away from that. Cody eyes dropped to his lap as they left mine before looking back up full of sorrow and nerves.
"I didn't mean to freak you out or anything," he stuttered. I stopped him by placing my hand against his cheek, feeling his still slight damp face as I took a deep breath. Cody Lachlan had whirlwind into my life and now I couldn't imagine it would be the same without him. I knew those three words would be said soon I just didn't realise how soon. We'd gotten together officially around a month ago and I didn't know if it was rushing it but as I looked across the car at him, his eyes searching mine for an answer, I knew I couldn't wait another second.
"I love you too," I whispered, my thumb running along his jawline. He let out a breath he was holding in as a grin spread across his face before dropping his forehead against mine.
"It's been an amazing evening," he said in a low voice, his lips practically brushing against mine. All I could do was nod before his lips joined mine. A kiss that this time was part of two people that were in love with each other. As we carried on the drive home I leant my head against Cody's shoulder drifting in and out of sleep, a smile never leaving my face.

I woke up the next morning in Cody's bed, where I don't remember coming. I must of fallen asleep in the car. Cody's arms wrapped tighter around my waist as I tried to move. He murmured something in my hair before letting his head fall back in to the pillow. Finally I managed to prise Cody's arms off from around me and slip out of the warmth of the duvet. The cold of the room hit my bare legs as I walked over to the bathroom. There was an overwhelming urge to run and hide back in the covers and in the warmth of Cody and the bed. I did my business before quickly brushing my teeth, Cody had brought me an extra one for here to save me from walking back to my room. I pulled the rest of the pins out of my hair shaking it out and watching as it stuck out in all the places. I got in to Cody's shower to wash off my sleep and last night. As I covered my hair with Cody's fancy shampoo I chuckled as I thought of the stories Will had told me. It was a laugh hearing about Cody's past. When it came to conditioning then I started thinking about the car ride and how we'd finally said the words that had hung around us for a while. I was relieved that it was finally out there and a smile grew on my face thinking about it. I got out the shower wrapping a warm fluffy towel round my body and then another one round my wet hair before stepping back in to Cody's room. He blinked a few times as he stretched out on the bed. His hand reached around for where I'd been laying
"Pop," he muttered as he peeked his eyes open.
"Over here," I told him gently as I pulled open his wardrobe searching for where I left my dressing gown.
"Come back to bed," he groaned pulling a pillow over his head.
"Let me go make some breakfast and then I will," I said as I pulled the pink and fluffy dressing gown off the hanger and wrapped it around my body. Cody groaned and rolled around on the bed. I went over and kissed his cheek. I quickly ran a brush through my wet hair. As I reached for the handle I heard Cody mutter an "I love you Pop." I grinned and replied "I love you too," before heading downstairs to make some breakfast.

"Morning Poppy," Mrs Lachlan said as I passed her in the hallway. She was carrying two mugs, she was still as elegantly dressed and hair typically pinned back even if she did look more tired than usual.
"Morning Mrs Lachlan. I'm just getting started on breakfast. Would you like me to bring it up for you?" I asked. Often when Mr and Mrs Lachlan had spent the evening out they preferred breakfast in bed. Mr Lachlan didn't deal with a hangover too well.
"That would be lovely dear. Stewart is still sleeping. I hope you enjoyed yourself last night," she said with a smile.
"It was a lovely celebration," I said. She nodded and I took that as my hint to disappear. As I set to work in the kitchen, full English all round. I hummed gently to the radio. I'd got in the habit of having it on, it kept me company when all the Lachlan's were busy and kept me tuned in to the world outside of the Lachlan household. As I turned the sausages I heard the sound of tyres out on the gravel. Looking out the window I saw Colin helping Mia out of the car. She looked tired, her hair was pulled back and she was wearing leggings and a sweatshirt. I watched as Colin placed a kiss on her cheek and said something in her ear before wrapping an arm around her and pulling her towards the house. I turned back to the stove to add my eggs to the boiling water. I looked up as the door opened and Colin lifted his nose to the air.
"Ah please tell me there's enough left for us you chefing angel," Colin laughed as he perched at the breakfast bar. Mia sat beside him resting her head on her arms. I raised my eyebrow to Colin.
"The rain and grumpy rich people made it a long night," he said sighing, he was just as tired looking. He pulled his hoodie up over his head and rested his against Mias. I chuckled and put the tray together for Mr and Mrs Lachlan.
"Colin your sausages and bacon are under the grill, your mushrooms will need stirring and I will put your eggs on when I get back." Pushing the door with my hip I headed up the stairs to the Lachlan's room. I left it on the table outside as I knocked on the door and then left to go check on Cody. I snuck in quietly watching as he laid on his front messing with his phone. I laughed as he cursed and threw his phone down on the pillow next to him causing him turn in my direction.
"Stupid angry birds," he said with a laugh, turning to lean on his hand to face me.
"Your sister and Colin are downstairs for breakfast, you want yours up here or with them?" I asked sitting down on the bed next to him running my hand through his messy bed head.
"I want you to stay up here," he said wrapping his arms around my waist. As tempting as it was I knew that Colin and Mia could be asleep on the counter and letting it all burn.
"I'll see you downstairs," I said with a kiss to the cheek as he loosened his grip on me.
"Fine," he sighed as he laid back on the bed. Mia had gone missing when I got back to the kitchen and Colin was sat on the floor watching through the window in the oven, his hood still up. After checking everything wasn't about to burn and then putting the eggs on I sat down on the floor next to him.
"Not to get all high school gossiping girl on you," he began. I turned to look at him as he pulled down his hood.
"How did Cody ask you to be his girlfriend?" I looked at him curiously waiting for him to explain.
"I wanna do something special for Mia if I'm going to ask her," he said running his hand through his hair. I chuckled and leant against his shoulder.
"I know you can be romantic really Col. She doesn't need anything grand. Just let her know how you feel. What happened to doing it last night?"
"Bridesmaid duties," he said with a roll of his eyes, "and it never seemed right."
"You're such a softy," I laughed pulling myself to my feet.
"Now should we have some breakfast," I said pulling the plates out the cupboard. He nodded and I helped pulled him to his feet.
"I am starving," he laughed helping me dish up.