Chapter 34

Cody's POV

"Cody son, what lovely flowers, are they for your mother?" Mr Stevens asked as I tried to sneak round the side of the house. He was leaning against the wall smoking. I was hoping to get round to the back to see Poppy for atleast five minutes before being needed back out to socialise.
"No sir they're for my girlfriend," I told him just smiling at the thought of her. It had been shit that I'd had to go back in to the office and the flight had to be postponed.
"And you're sneaking them round the house because?" He asked. Mr Stevens had been a friend of my dads for years, bit too much of a snob if you ask me but I'd never really had too much trouble with him. He was in journalism. I wasn't ashamed of Poppy but I was still not looking forward to the way people would react to when I told them she was the chef. I just couldn't face people judging my girl. Checking my watch and realising I was meant to be downstairs and mingling in 10 minutes and I still smelt like aeroplane.
"She's the chef and I really should get going," I told him watching shock wash over him before he shrugged and stubbed his cigarette out on the wall behind him. I headed further round the house until I could see the window that looked in to the kitchen. I couldn't help the grin that spread across my face as I watched her rush around the kitchen. A strand of hair fell down the side of her face, my hand twitching to tuck in behind her ear. She looked busy and stressed so I knew I couldn't take up too much of her time. Tucking the flowers behind my back I tapped on the window trying to get her attention. At the noise they all turned to face me but my attention was met by one set of hazel eyes. A smile grew on her face as she saw me, quickly putting down her spoon and wiping her hands on her apron as she sprinted to the door. I breathed her in as her arms wrapped around my neck. I placed my head in her neck, squeezing her tighter to me.
"Fucking paperwork and planes," I sighed as I pulled away resting my forehead against hers.
"Yeah they suck," she said biting her lip as they hovered close to mine. I knew there was an audience in the kitchen and I couldn't have her the way I wanted to.
"I did manage to get you these though," I said pulling out the bright crimson roses from behind my back. She grinned even more as she accepted them from me. It was one of a few things that I'd brought back for her. I knew she didn't want me buying her things but I wanted her to know that I had barely stopped thinking about her the whole time I was away.
"Thank you, they're lovely but I better get back to work," she said making no effort to move. I kept one hand on her waist, adoring how cute she always looked in her chefs jacket. I just wanted to stay like this and not have to worry about any of the responsibilities I had.
"I look forward to it," I told her before leaning down to kiss her gently, as soon as my lips met hers I wanted to explore everything I'd missed the last few days but I knew now wasn't the time. Finally being able to tuck the strand of hair behind her ear I took her hand and led her back in to the kitchen. I didn't want any of it to go wrong just because I'd distracted her. She quickly got back to checking everything giving me a small smile when she noticed I was still there watching, mesmerised by everything she did. I winked back before heading up to get ready.

I was writing myself a mental list of all the comments everyone was saying about Poppy's food. I knew she was an amazing chef but now everyone was saying it too and I was so proud of her. By the time I'd come downstairs dinner was about to be served so I'd missed most of the socialising, my head and body were trying to fight against me for sleep due to the time difference and the amount I had already been awake today so I was grateful that I didn't have to do as much. I tried to keep a short but polite conversation with everyone but I was just looking forward to tonight being over. I knew it was important to my family so I had to be on my best behaviour and not just sneak off but I just wanted my girl and my bed. I discussed my trip to New York and business and politics until I was sick of it. As dessert was served I was grateful that the night was almost going to be over. Everyone was deep in conversation around the table so I quickly sent Poppy a text.
Food has been incredible. You're incredible. Stay with me tonight?x
As whipped as it was just spending the five days apart had me craving for her touch. I knew I had fallen hard for that girl in the kitchen even after the short amount of time that we had actually been together.
Thought you'd never ask x
Finishing another spoonful of the delicious dessert she'd made I turned to join in the conversation on my left with my father. My father had been weary of me having a relationship with Poppy and had tried to discourage me out of it. Saying she didn't fit in with our type of people but now he'd seen the way we fit together he'd accepted us and was happy as long as I was happy. My mother was a romantic and was just glad to see me with someone that had some respect for themselves.
"Your girl certainly knows how to make a dessert," father turned to whisper as he finished his last mouthful. I nodded and smiled happily finishing mine off too.

"Please just let me pay for it," I begged giving her my best puppy dog eyes. I could see her face soften before hardening again, her stubbornness taking over.
"We can wait a few more months," She said softly. I frowned but knew I couldn't be mad at her. She was so different than all the other girls that were happy to get something for nothing and let me take the bill for everything. I'd tried a few times with Poppy and sometimes she'd let me pay but most of the time she tried to pay her own way or atleast offer to. Some men would find this intimidating or offending but I knew poppy had been brought up to be independent and I respected that. I was sat with Poppy in the kitchen as she worked on dinner looking at booking a little break for the two of us but she was insisting on contributing. I just wanted us to get away as soon as possible but waiting for her to pay her half meant we would have to wait and I didn't do well with waiting.
"Dinners almost ready so go put that away and get cleaned up, we'll get something sorted but you know how I feel about these kind of things," she said coming to stand behind me wrapping her arms around me. I sighed knowing I wasn't going to win this battle. Closing my laptop and standing from the stool I wrapped Poppy up in my arms my chin resting on the top of her head.
"I just want some time that's just you and me," I whined like a little school kid.
"I know," she said pulling back to cup my face with her soft little hand. "Me too." I placed my lips against hers in a gentle kiss before grabbing my stuff and heading upstairs. I dumped my phone and laptop on the bed before heading in to the bathroom to wash my hands and rub some moisturiser on my dry cheeks. I yawned feeling the jet lag hit even more. After the party last night I had just completely crashed out, I was barely conscious when Poppy came and joined me and then I'd managed to sleep for ages, only being woken when Poppy came up to bring me some lunch. I swapped my sweats for a pair of jeans, one of the dinner table rules was to not look like a slob as my father put it, before going back downstairs for dinner.
"Smells delicious as always Poppy," father said as I entered the dining room. I gave her a little wink as she noticed my presence causing a pink glow on her cheeks, god she's adorable.
"How about you join us tonight dear?" Mother said as she placed her dinner in front of her. "Stevies gone to see her son and we don't want you eating in the kitchen on your own," she continued. I watched as Poppy nervously looked around before her gaze landed on mine. I smiled encouragingly wanting nothing more than to spend some time letting her get to know my family and my family knowing her as more than their chef.
"Okay yeah sure, let me just get changed and get my dinner," she said as I shot her a grin.
"Don't worry we'll wait for you but only if you're quick," father laughed as she nodded and headed out the room.
"Meal times are a family event but I'm not saying Poppy can't occasionally join us. She is your girlfriend now and we should get to know her and include her in our family," mother said placing her hand on top of mine. The cold rings on her fingers clashing with my skin.
"Thank you," I told her. Conversation turned to business between father and myself whilst we waited for Poppy. Soon enough she burst back through the door carrying her plate of dinner and her cutlery. She kept her head down anxiously as she took a seat at the table. She changed out of her whites in to a black dress, it had thick straps but kept her shoulders bare with a square neck and a band of white at the bottom, quite 60's style. Her hair was still up in a ponytail and her cheeks were red from rushing around. She took the seat next to mine, my knee automatically twisting to meet hers and my hand joining hers giving her an encouraging squeeze. She gave me a small smile before facing my parents who were happily tucking into their dinner.