Chapter 36

"You ready babe?" Cody asked sticking his head round the door. I finished tying the strap of my black heels before getting up and giving myself one last check over. My hair had been twisted back and plaited in to a bun in the back of my hair. I must of used half a can of hair spray and two dozen pins to keep it secure for the day. I smoothed down my dress which was a strapless purple and white ombré. I'd fallen in love with it as soon as I'd seen it. I turned to face Cody, his grey suit clung to him perfectly and the matching lilac tie hung from his neck. His smile grew wider as his eyes met mine.
"Beautiful," he whispered as his arm went around my waist pulling me to him. He went to kiss my lips but I turned so his lips met my cheek causing him to pout as I explained that I didn't want to smudge my lipstick or leave his lips covered.
"There's just one thing that will make you look even better," he said with a smirk as he pulled a teal box out of his pocket. I gasped as he opened it, my breath catching in my throat.
"Cody I can't," I said stepping back.
"Turn around," He said softly. I obliged letting him run his fingers up my arm, feeling his breath on my neck he was so close. The cold metal fell on my chest as he did the clasp up.  I looked down grasping it in between my fingers. The chain was simple and silver with a delicate little flower in the middle of it. It wasn't showy or flashy but it was beautiful.
"Cody, you didn't have to, it's stunning," I said looking up at him.
"Just like you," he grinned before giving me a wink as I laughed at his cheesiness.
"Now are you ready?" He said holding out his hand. I picked my clutch off up the bed and took his hand.
"It's from New York," he said as helped me down the stairs.
"You already got me too much," I said feeling guilty. As soon as he'd got back he'd come in with a massive bunch of roses which were now starting to die but had brightened up the kitchen making me think of him every time I saw them. Then the next morning he'd surprised me with a bunch of little New York gifts, he'd admitted that half of them were from the airport cause he didn't have much time to be in the city. He'd also pulled out a big bag of chocolates from the duty free when we'd watched a film the other night too. He was spoiling me and it was making me feel bad but it also made me fall harder for him. I knew it wouldn't be long until I uttered those three words I just wasn't sure how he would respond.

"Congratulations," Cody said as he pulled Grace in to a hug. She looked incredible, her wedding dress curved around her slender body. It was strapless and lace and had a beautiful train and a silver belt, it was so princess like. A beautiful silver tiara was placed on her pulled back hair.
"Poppy, nice to see you again," she said looking me up and down, I could see judgement in her eyes before they met mine forcing a smile on her face.
"You look incredible, this place, the whole thing," I stuttered intimidated by all the glitz and glamour I was surrounded by.
"Thank you, enjoy your evening," she said turning to another guest trying to congratulate her. I scanned the room trying to find my date, wondering how he'd disappeared in the twenty second conversation. My eyes met his through the crowd as he stood laughing with one of the groomsmen. He waved me over and I weaved myself through until I was stood beside him.
"Poppy, Will, Will, Poppy," he said introducing us. Taking in his features I recognised him from one of the photos on Codys wall.
"Nice to meet you, Nice to put a face to the name," he said earning him a shove from Cody. I raised my eyebrows at him, making Will laugh even more.
"He's winding you up," Cody said wrapping his arm around my waist pulling me closer to him. "He's Declan's brother," he told me as Will put his hands in his pockets giving a nod to someone who patted him on the back. Declan was the groom, who I still hadn't seen yet.
"I've got plenty of stories to tell you about this one at school," he said with a laugh. I grinned back looking up at Cody as he groaned.
"Time to socialise," he said dragging me away from Will.
"I'll find you later Poppy," he said with a shout causing me to laugh harder. Cody dragged me towards the bar, people constantly greeting him. Their ceremony had been a small event, close friends and family which included Mia as one of four bridesmaid. I had yet to see her, she'd stayed the night with Grace last night when she'd got back.
"Scotch and soda and a vodka cranberry," Cody said once he'd got the bartenders attention. I smiled that he already knew my order. Down the pub or on my own I'd drink cider or wine but cider wasn't lady like in this situation and I was very fussy when it came to wine. Cody passed me my drink once it was ready, leading me away from the bar and back in to the crowd of people. His hand resting on my lower back as he guided me through the happy celebrators. The wedding ceremony might have been quiet but the reception was one hell of a party. The place was decorated in silver streamers and balloons. Music was playing from the band at the front where the dance floor was empty so far. I noticed Mr and Mrs Lachlan happily talking to another couple at a table. The group of bridesmaids were huddled in a group and I could just make out the top of Mias head. I was hoping she wouldn't be busy all night so we could catch up. We'd texted but it wasn't the same, just like me and Colin. I was missing my best friend again.
"Cody," a voice shouted. Both of us stopped looking round for the voice. My chest dropped as Andrea came in to sight. Things didn't end well last time Cody had been with her and I started panicking again as much as he'd reassured me I still couldn't help but feel insecure looking at the tight nude coloured dress that hugged her figure and the way that Cody pulled her in for a hug.
"Andrea, you remember Poppy," he said. I blinked out of my thoughts as Cody wrapped his arm around me again.
"Of course," she said pulling me in to kiss my cheek. I stepped back to the security of Cody as they started talking, I carried on looking around the venue in awe. There was a photo booth and a mini casino set up through another door. A table for guests well wishes for the happy couple. There was a buffet that was currently being set up in another corner.
"Maybe see you later," Cody said as he took my hand in his.
"Yeah hope I do, nice to see you again Poppy," She said before turning and disappearing in to the crowd of people. With my drink in one hand and Cody's in the other he weaved us through till we were stood just outside the exit through some large doors that lead to a beautiful lawn that ended in a lake.
"Did I tell you that you look beautiful," Cody whispered in my ear as his arms wrapped around my back. I hid my face in his chest as I wrapped my arms around his neck, careful not to accidentally spill my drink down his neck.
"You don't scrub up bad either," I laughed leaning back to adjust his tie. He always looked so good in a suit. His lips met mine in a passionate kiss, one that was probably too much to be doing in such a public place but I didn't mind I just laced my free fingers in the hair at the top of his neck, pulling him closer to me. His hand around my waist pulling me closer towards him, closing the distance between us. He rested his forehead on mine with a grin as we pulled apart for air just as we heard the call for the buffet opening. Cody ran his hand through his hair and took a sip of his drink.
"You're addictive," he admitted with a chuckle. I laughed and laced my fingers through his.
"Shall we?" He asked, I nodded in reply. As we headed back through the door a figure rushed in to our view.
"I've been looking for you all over the place. Mind if I third wheel?" He asked.

A/N: oooo who's the third wheel? I always thought I would have given up and got bored by now but I've full on sat down and planned out where this story is going and I'm really excited. I'd love to know if there's anything you want to see from these characters or any kind of characters you want to see. Thank you to everyone who's read so far!