Chapter 21

I could feel the fact that I'd caught the sun as soon as I soon as I stepped in the shower. The warm water heating up my skin even more. I could feel the sand disappearing and the sea rinsing away. It had been such a nice day being able to get away and relax with Colin for the day. The beach was my happy place and I couldn't remove the smile off my face. Wiping the steam off the bathroom mirror I saw how rosy my face was. I ran the hairbrush through my dripping locks before plugging in the hairdryer. Colin was missing when I returned out of the bathroom. He'd planned on going and seeing Mia before heading back, I was hoping that whatever choice he'd made today would be the best for the both of them. The darkness of night was almost here as I checked that I had just under twenty minutes left. Luckily I'd managed to sort everything as soon as me and Colin got back to the house so I only had myself left to get ready. Opening my wardrobe I realised how little date style outfits I owned. I pulled out a pale pink pleated midi skirt and then fished around in my drawer to find my go to white Lacey crop top. Putting on my nicer underwear, just in case, I put on the outfit deiciding it would have to do before running the brush through my hair again and pinning back the front strands before putting on some make up and spray. I checked my phone for the time again.
Things are getting there. I'll talk soon. Now leaving. Good luck with the date ❤️

I get why girls don't know what to wear to dates they know nothing about. I'll see you soon xx

The first being from Colin the second from Cody I quickly text off replies to both of them before slipping my phone in the pocket in my skirt. It was one of my favourite skirts purely for that reason. I double checked myself in the mirror before putting my feet in a simple pair of flats and skipping off down the corridor.

"I'm gonna have to up my game," Cody chuckled from beside me as he took in the set up. I blushed and leant in to his chest as he squeezed his arms closer around my shoulders.
"It's nothing. I got inspiration from Mias party and Colin helped me set it up and everything," I told him as we walked closer. I'd set up a couple of camping chairs which sat around a little fire pit. Set up further away I'd made my own protector screen from a sheet hanging out of a window and a protector borrowed from a friend of Colin's. I was going to put candles out but I was worried about the fire hazard so on the way home today we went and got fake plastic ones but they still made the same affect.
"Make yourself comfortable, there's beers in the cooler box," I told him as I set up the film. I'd gone for the first avengers after our both joint love for it. I could hear him chuckle as the start credits rolled. I took my seat next to him picking up the tray that I had left ready and covered on the floor.
"S'mores?" I asked holding out the tray to him.
"You really are perfect," he laughed happily grabbing one. I pulled myself out a bottle of cider from the coolbox cracking it open and balancing it in the small cup holder in the chair before getting to toasting my own smore over the open fire. We ate, drank, chatted and laughed as we enjoyed the film and each other's company.
"Mia loved the present," Cody said. I grinned and felt relieved. I'd got her a really chunky blanket, maybe not the most appropriate for a summer present but I'd seen how much she'd enjoyed wrapping herself up in them at the lodge and a little beaded bracelet, they were only simple and I knew she would have got much more fancy gifts but it was the thought that counted and I knew she knew I couldn't afford things as extravagant as her other friends.
"There's one of these charity event that the whole family has to go to next week and I was just wondering," Cody nervously fiddled with his hands, "if you wanna, you don't have to if you don't want to it's fine, I mean no pressure."
"Spit it out," I laughed taking his hand in mine.
"Come with me. To the ball, I'll get you a dress and everything sorted and we don't have to stay long if you don't want." He was still nervously rambling. A ball? I could dress up as a princess for a night I was totally up for that.
"Will you be taking me as your friend or your chef or..?" I said trying to get his feelings out.
"Or as my girl friend?" He said raising an eyebrow. I thought I was practically going to fall off the chair. I know we'd been flirting and been going out on dates for a while but were we really ready for that stage? When I wanted to know his feelings I didn't realise it was going to be that.
"Sorry shit, I didn't mean to freak you out," he said after I hadn't said anything for a moment.
"No, I'm just shocked, I just, I just didn't realise you were that serious," I replied.
"I did tell you that I really liked you but if don't want that label then what would you call us?"
"I never technically said no, but dating I guess, seeing each other, labels put pressure on things and I'm just enjoying getting to know you, you're completely different that what I thought you would be like," I told him still in shock.
"I'm enjoying to get to know you too, it's fine I don't want to put any pressure on us either. I hope it's that I exceed expectations though?"
"Maybe," I said taking another swig from my bottle.
"I'll be back in a minute," He clambered up from the camp chair leaning to kiss my cheek before heading inside leaving me alone on the lawn to over think what had just happened.

"And that's the Little Dipper and that makes up the Ursa Minor," He said pointing up at the glittery sky. Cody had gone back in to get a blanket and his little telescope. I looked over to him in awe as he talked so passionately about the stars. I didn't know he had it in him and as his face was illuminated by just the stars and fake candles I knew that I was silly to get so panicked by the boyfriend/ girlfriend label. I really liked the man laying next to me and labels didn't have to cause pressure.
"And if you really squint and turn your head a little then you can see the scales," he said leaning his head to the side. I did the same just about making out the shapes in the dark sky.
"How did you learn all this?" I asked curiously facing him.
"Grandpa taught me most of it," he said gazing off to the distance thinking of his family. "And then when I was off travelling I used to sit outside and I knew that everyone in the world was under these same stars that everyone I knew and loved were being watched by the same stars and it made me feel peaceful and as cringey as it sounds I like to think that grandpa and nana are up there being their own stars now." Who knew he really was such a softie? The urge came over to comfort him by crashing my lips against his. He slightly lost his balance on the blanket before then wrapping his arms around my waist and moving his lips in time with mine. We stayed like that for a while underneath the stars, the credits for the film playing around us.
"You never gave me a proper answer," he said leaning his forehead against mine.
"To?"
"Being my plus one at the ball," he said leaning back on the blanket and taking a sip of his beer. I considered it carefully, of course I wanted to go but that would mean being introduced to more people in his life and seeing the ones that only knew me as a chef and panic started creep over me until I looked over at Cody and saw him smiling at me and rubbing his thumb over our joined hands.
"Yes I'll be your date to the ball," I told him watching as his face lit up before leaning in to kiss me again.
Shortly after we packed away the things from outside and Cody walked me to my room.
"Goodnight Poppy," He said giving me one last sweet soft kiss.
"Goodnight Cody," I replied as he pulled away.
"Think about the label offer," he said as he started walking down the corridor. "See you at breakfast," he called as he turned the corner giving me one last wink before he left. I grinned and turned the handle to my room. Maybe Cody Lachlan being my boyfriend wouldn't be too bad...