Chapter 14 • Jimin's past

Start from the beginning

"Sadly it's not like that in my world. Elves are quite competitive spirited. They believe there are certain skills and characteristics needed if you want to have their respect. If not, then you are the biting toy of the society. That's why my parents are so hard. Even though I understand that, I still dislike the way they treat me like dirt."

Eunha always thought that elves were peaceful and harmonious beings. This was the first time hearing about their hard standards and it saddened her. She couldn't imagine a world where no one had the right to be themselves without being judged by others...

Oh wait.

It's the same world she lives in every day.

"One night, after another beating session by my father, I ran away. Not really planning on leaving forever, but just needing some time to myself. I was nine back then and felt so wronged by everything and everyone. I ran into the forest, not caring how far. I broke down crying.
That's when I met a boy the same age as I. He was starving and freezing while sitting in a tree. That boy was Taehyung." Jimin let out another sigh, though a spark of anger replaced the sadness floating in his eyes.

"We talked, I told him about my life and he listened, giving me some advice here and there or comforting me when needed. He never told me about himself, but I thought he had to warm up to me you know. He was alone in a forest, it's obvious that you do not tell your life-story to some random nine-year-old elf. I should have known better though."

Alone in the forest? Starving? Freezing?
Funny how with some people you can't tell what kind of horrors they have been through. If that's because you don't pay enough attention to the details of them, or if they just are very good at acting, she did not know. Maybe a bit of both.

"He had no home, so everyday I would sneak out to bring him water and food, warm clothes and blankets, even some games to play. Pretty soon we became best friends, you know how that goes when little. Anyways, I became happy again."

Jimin let out another sigh, closing his eyes for a moment. It was difficult to talk about the past, especially since he had been in such a dark place at such a young age. Them becoming friends really saved him, but then Jimin found out the truth.

"One night, my parents followed me as I kept disappearing in the evening. They wanted to know what was distracting me so much. When they saw me with Taehyung, they didn't take action immediately, but waited for me to come home. I did and they asked me about him. As they had already seen him I figured there was no use to lie, so I told them how I met him in the forest. They sat me down and sternly announced that I could no longer meet him. Guess after all those weeks, Taehyung forgot to mention one little thing that my parents did tell me; he's a demon.
Turns out he was just using me to feed on me, all the real food I gave him abandoned in the bushes. I had so much negativity in me, that he stuck around, not really caring for me, just his own gain. I didn't want to believe my parents, so I went back,"

Jimin shook his head, lips pressed together, "One of the elf-children from my class was with him. Minhyun. All the time, birdy had been hiding his true face, but to that normally happy boy, he revealed it. That was the first time I saw those black wings, black eyes, the true powers of a demon. H-He tortured Minhyun. I wanted to stop him, but as soon as I revealed myself, it was too late already. Minhyun had died by the hands of a nine-year old."

"Your hope turned out to be a lie. Taehyung was your best friend, but he just used you for personal gain and killed one of your classmates. And that's why you hate him." Eunha mumbled, trying to understand everything.

The anger she had seen on Jimin's face every time he looked at Taehyung made her think it was directed at the demon, but now she began to realize that it was actually anger for the elf himself.
He was hurt that the one person he thought actually cared for him, turned out to only care for the drama in his life. He was sad that his first and only best friend had lied to him. He felt guilty that one innocent life had been taken, when maybe he could have done something to prevent it from happening. He despised himself for being him.