Chapter 5

It's 5 months later and both boys were home from Christmas break. The boys were closer than ever and Joe's family and Ben's mum accepted him when he came out. Ben and Rosemary were looking for a flat in London and kept disagreeing on everything. They eventually picked one and were in the process of moving in. Joe was sad to see Ben leaving but was excited for him to continue on with his Rugby career. Joe was getting everything together for his big move to America. He was given a supporting role in a movie and was leaving in a few weeks. Joe was helping Ben pack up the last of his things and he noticed he was in a mood. "Benny, whats wrong? Nervous for the big move to London?" Joe teased.

"Gonna miss you. We're gonna be on different continents! We've never been on different streets! It's just crazy, I don't know." Ben said laughing.

Joe could hear the sadness in his voice, he gave him a hug. The tightest and longest hug they have ever shared.

"You're gonna be in London, playing Rugby. And I'm gonna be in California, acting. This is what we dreamed Benny! Everything we ever wanted!" Joe said to his best mate.

"You're coming down tonight to toast the new flat with me right? Rosemary is working late but come by whenever!" Ben exclaimed.

"Of course, I'm meeting Lucy for a drink. I asked to talk to her. I want to apologize to her. Besides you, she the greatest mate I've ever had." Joe said.

Ben smiled at Joe and Joe smiled back. Ben's heart soared every time Joe flashed that beautiful smile. They loaded the last of the boxes in the van and stood on the sidewalk staring at each other.

At the same time, they both spoke. "Tell me a secret" is what Joe said while Ben said "I love you". Both followed by a "what" from each of the boys.

"I thought this was our goodbye. I was saying, love you & see ya soon!" Ben said trying to cover his ass. He didn't know where that came from or why he said it.

"Ok, ya crazy. I guess no secret then! I'll see you later" Joe said laughing hugging Ben.

"Quick secret! I don't know how to exist without you 5 feet away from me. Your turn!" Ben said getting into the moving van.

"Hey! That was my secret!" Joe said without missing a beat.

They both smiled and gave a small wave as Ben drove off. Joe was sad but glad they had sometime before he left for the states.

                             *****

Joe met up with Lucy at a pub in London. He wanted to be close to Ben and Rosemarys flat. He was nervous meeting Lucy again. It's been a little over 5 months since that night. Joe got there first, he order a beer for himself and a glass of white wine for Lucy. He finished two before she showed up. Lucy walked in the door, she looked beautiful. She always did.

"Hi Luce." Joe said said standing up from his chair. She ran into his arms, hugging him so tight.

"I've missed you. I've missed my best friend so much." Lucy said into his chest.

They sat down and started to catch up. Lucy had started dating a boy from America, Rami. She was in love and so happy. She radiated happiness. Joe was ecstatic for her. He told her that he was leaving for a movie in America. She cried from how happy she was for him and because right when she got her best mate back, he's leaving.

"I hate to ruin such a good time, but I have to ask. Did I make you realize you were gay? Or did you know?" Lucy asked finishing her wine.

"I was never one to like girls but I thought it was just never the right girl. Then I met you and I fell in love with you. But platonic love. That night is when I realized that I was gay. I could only get hard thinking about B- about guys." Joe said, catching himself before he could say Ben.

"It's Ben isn't it?" Lucy said smiling.

"It's always been him. But he's straight so I have to move on. Speaking of Benny, I have to go. Told him I'd be there an hour ago." Joe said finishing his pint.

"Best mates still? I need you to meet Rami. Need your approval. He's an actor too! Maybe we'll all together in Cali! Love you!" Lucy said hugging Joe goodbye.

"Of course, love you loads Luce" Joe said.

They parted their ways and Joe called a taxi to take him to Bens.