Chapter 2

The boys are 9 years old, Joe's birthday is in 3 days and Ben's is in 20 days. Their mothers decided to do a joint birthday party at an arcade. Ben and Joe still spent nearly every day together. Rosemary joins them some days but not always. It obvious Ben and Rosemary have crushes on each other. Joe and Rosemary have become good friends. They hang out whenever Ben is busy. Joe likes that Rosemary will play dress up and let him do her make up. Joe found out Rosemary likes Ben and told her that Ben liked her back.

"My friend, Annie, has a crush on you!" Rosemary exclaimed to Joe.

He has never had a crush yet, but he thought Annie was pretty and she laughed at his jokes.

"You should bring her to mine and Bens rugby match tomorrow!" Joe said with excitement.

Later that night when Joe was eating dinner at Bens house, he told him about Annie. "It's like a double date mate!" Ben said with a mouthful of food. Joe missed when it was just the two of them but was excited to try something new.

*****
The boys won their Rugby match and the girls sat in the stands cheering them on. After the game was over, the four of them walked to an ice cream parlor. Ben was too nervous to hold Rosemary's hand and Joe wasn't doing anything Ben didn't do. They chatted about their favorite films and least favorite foods. Rosemary kept telling Joe fun facts about Annie. She was too shy to tell them herself. Annie was good at dancing and knew all of Joes favorite songs by the Beatles. Joe loved the Beatles, him and Ben loved to sing In My Life together. At the parlor, Ben and Rosemary sat together sharing with chocolate sprinkles. Joe and Annie sat together sharing strawberry with whipped cream.

"Are you sure that's okay Joe?" Ben asked with his eyes pointing at the ice cream. Joe was severely lactose intolerant but never let people know.

"I'm good Ben!" Joe reassured. Ben tapped his foot on Joes to let him know if he needed to leave. It was their secret signal. Everyone had finished their ice cream and Joe tapped Bens foot. They excused themselves saying their mums are worried and ran out the door and straight home.

With Joe puking in the bathroom, Ben ran to fetch his medicine and some water. Once Joe was done, Ben gave it to him.

"Sorry you have to constantly watch after me." Joe said taking his medication.

"I love caring for you" Ben said touching his forearm.

"Tell me a secret." Joe said.

"My dad left last night. He packed a bag and left us. I think it's my fault." Ben said with tears in his eyes.

"Benjamin Hardy, you are joking? Your dad, to put it politely, was a wanker. Your mum and you are better off!" Joe said giving his best mate a big hug.

"Tell me a secret" Ben said crying into Joe's neck.

Joe pulled away and said "I hate Rugby. I want to do drama. But I don't think you'll want to be my mate still" Joe said with his voice shaking.

"God we're both abunch of mad men. Of course I'll be your mate. I'll be at every show and when you win an Oscar, I'll be right next to you!" Ben said smiling. They sat on the bathroom floor all night laughing about everything under the sun.

The boys birthday party went great and Ben and Joe were at Joe's families house looking at their gifts. Bens mum and Ben have moved in with Joe's family. She couldn't afford the house alone and Joe's family was happy to have them. Ben and Joe were so happy to be sharing a room.

That night before bed, Ben said to Joe, "Tell me a secret!".

Joe responded back with, "I gave Annie a small kiss. I felt no butterflies. I don't like her, but I dont want to hurt her. Tell me a secret."

Ben responded back, "That's okay! There are plenty of girls out there! My secret? I kissed Rosemary on the lips and my heart is still pounding so fast." Ben said with a smile on his face.

Joe was jealous he didn't feel the same way but wasn't worried he was only 10. As long as him and Ben were friends, he didn't care about the rest.